Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just thought I would post some of our experiences this past few days on Cape Cod in Orleans and Chatham. We practiced on a lake at home before going and it was very helpful just to get a system down and get used to some extended pedaling. We were not in good shape at all but trying to get there.
We have a Subaru Forester and wanted to get the sport because of it's lighter weight and easier transport as we use the roof rack on trips as we need the inner space for all kinds of things. It turns out that ease of transport before and after an excursion is very important as it makes everything more enjoyable and we'll probably use more often because of it as neither one of us are very strong.

To get to the trips. Our first excursion was found in a book paddling on cape cod for kayaks and canoes. We timed the tide and went out of a town landing in East orleans and out to Little Pleasant Bay down a beautiful meandering salt water inlet. We picked this first trip because it was only about 3 miles round trip. We got to our destination about 20 minutes earlier than the book had indicated so we had plenty of time to rest and swim and have lunch before the tide turned. Only problem we had was green flies which were ferocious as usual. We had bug repellent but they just kept coming so we moved out on a sand bar in the wind and solved the problem. We could only get to that destination by boat and it was popular as several boats stopped and everybody went for a swim.
I was surprised at how easy the trip was and the water was fairly calm so no problems there. I had to slow down for my wife as she took her time.
Nothing unusual about the water here, didn't even notice the tide flow.

Next trip was a bit more daring as I went out of a town landing quite a ways in and then out through a channel where all the boats and yatchs go into the open water. My wife put her chair on the dock at the landing and she read while I set out on my excursion. Round trip was about 1 1/2 hours of steady to fast pedaling in all kinds of conditions.. The river leading to Stage Harbour was beautiful with a view of some spectacular homes and boats along the way.
I attracted quite a bit of attention from many on the boats in the channel and those along the shore. I don' t think the hobie pedalers are many out there as most seemed to see mine as their first and most boaters were pointing it out to their mates on board. I got a lot of thumbs up and wow - what's that, and boy that is neat, does it have a motor, we need to get one of those and so on. Most other kayakers were interested although I did get a cold shoulder from a couple of purists I guess.
Stage Harbor was choppy as the wind was about 15 knots and spray was hitting me but felt good cause it was warm. I was surprised at the head way I was making against the tide and it really didn't seem to slow me down much. Had to keep close track of the boats coming in and out as there were many. I got to the channel and this is where it started to get a little hairy. The boats going in and out were every size and some huge yatchs as well including some huge fishing boats. I stayed on the right side and the channel was turbulent and the wakes were huge at times so I just kept on pedaling along at a decent clip. When I got to the end of the channel is where things picked up as some huge boats where coming in with huge wakes and the tide was coming in as well with waves off of sand bars on both sides and the wakes and waves and tide was converging on one place and I was there and it was wild. High chop from every direction
with currents seemingly going every which way. I was tossed around pretty good so I just picked a direction and pedaled briskley to get out of that mess and cleared it in a few minutes. An outboack would have been good there but the sport came out well and I felt more confident in it after that. There were times some water was coming over the bow and sides but I just kept going and she just kept cruising. After that I crossed over the channel in a hurry when I got a break and went out to a sand bar with some boaters there. One kid about 8 or 9 years old loved the boat and grabbed onto the bow and wouldn't let go as he had to go for a ride, his mother finally convined him it wasn't a good idea.
It seems these pedal kayaks bring out the kid in everyone when they see them. I headed back and met some more wind and chop in the harbor but uneventful compared to the end of the channel. My wife then took her out for a spin and went at her own pace and loved it.
The following day we went out from a different town landing and out through the channel(it was calm) and parked on a sand bar. we packed an 8 foot umbrella, two beach chairs, lunch, bottles of water and grape juice,
trail mix, beach towels, beach blanket, sun tan lotion, hats etc. No problem at all for the sports. The water was beautiful, warm and clear and we were soon joined by a hefty wooden type open water boat, then two kayaks, a Bayliner sport fisherman, a pontoon boat and another kayak and we all had a great time. In mid afternoon the water started closing in on our beach front property so we all took off. My wife likes the short excursion to a beautiful beach destination and not so much the long journey, at least that's how it looks so far.
What I liked was the fact we didn't need a trailer and could go to any town landing even with no real turn around and there were plenty of those. We can go to the best beaches and not pay the $10 to $20 + fees many are charging now. Since many of the public landings are too difficult for trailers we can go to just about any one and have no problem parking or unloading. I lost some weight, didn't watch tv or have a cell phone or computer and honestly I felt great when we got home. I can see how you could get hooked on kayaking especially the pedal type as they are so versatile and just fun. Some serious thought went into these kayaks as they are so stable and go through the water so easily. I do think it is important to match your mode of transportation to the kayak you buy. The ease of transport is very important as you don't wantt to get too stressed taking it on or off your vehicle and you certainly don't want to damage your vehicle or the kayak. My wife and I always wear lifejackets or pdf's as you can tell we really need them.

Last edited by jack8973901 on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:05 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Jack,

Very entertaining reading -- thanks for sharing your adventure. Those Sports seem to be a great combination of portability and utility. The other day someone pulled up with one sticking out of her compact car, one handed it down to the water and off she went! That's about as convenient as it gets! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,
Glad you enjoyed reading about our trip. When my wife and I go down to the local lake we put one sport in the back of the Forester and then put a rug on top of it and slide the other sport on top of the rug. Very quick and easy loading. We tie both kayaks to the connections on the ceiling of the car for the child safety seats and connect that to the back of the kayak where the handle connects. Works great and when we accelerate they stay put.

Throwing a kayak in the back of a compact car and one handing it down to a lake does sound like the ultimate in convenience. It seems each kayak has its special features and in a couple of years we may get another car and maybe try to figure out some way of transporting an outback. I'm glad they made the sport though, because it opens up this type of kayaking to many people and it really is so much fun not to mention good exercise and experiencing the beauty of nature along the way.

jack

Post subject: Sport
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey jack,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum and thanks for a great tale about your initial experiences with the Sports. Your story about battling the wakes from the big yachts and fishing boats was a bit hairy, and is something I'm glad I don't have to put up with down here. Anyway, I'm with you regarding the advantages and ease of handliing and transport of the 9.5 foot Sport. It is just about all that I use now, unless my wife wants to go out, then I return to the OB. It certainly is no speed demon as compared to my OB, or especially a BigA, but I am rarely in a hurry to get anywhere that fast anyway, so no big ting. My next adventure is to catch a tarpon from a yak, and had planned on using my OB for that endeavor. But the more I think about it, the more I think I may just give the Sport a try in that arena as well. I mean, why not be a real sport, and use the Sport for some big game fishing too?! Stay tuned...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apalach,

In a short time we've had quite a few experiences with the sport. I would love to hear about any you've had especially in big rolling waves or sailing or riding waves or going out through the surf - none of which I have done yet but probably will experience by end of summer.

jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jack, thanks for sharing your experiences :D I really enjoyed reading your stories. I have had a Sport for a little over a year now, and really enjoy it. I have had it out in some big water, with big waves, and as long as I keep cranking, it keeps going. I haven't done a surf launch yet, but am getting ready to try it soon. Enjoy :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New2Yak,

I'm glad to hear the sport does well in big waves, I've been wondering about that. Would love to hear about your experiences going out into surf, I would imagine it is going to be a wet ride. It's great to hear stories about the sport as I can't find too many.

jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey jack and others interested in the Sport's performance:
Here is the tale about my experiences fishing at Melbourne, Sebastian Inlet, the Everglades, and especially about my first surf launch and return off Dania and Port Everglades during GAFFE I. Fishing off the reef edge a mile out in the open Atlantic in the Sport off Dania was a real blast, but the return thru 4-5 foot surf in the late afternoon was a bit more exciting than I had planned on. Everyone else had 12-16 foot yaks so returning thru 4-5 foot surf was not nearly as hairy for them as dolng the same in a 9.5 foot Sport (equivalent to reurning thru a 7-8 foot surf in the short boat!). Enjoy!
Dick

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... ight=gaffe