Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tandem Kayak Spec's
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Regarding the Hobie "Tandem Island" and the "Oasis", does anybody have the measurement for their draft (w/o mirage-drive in place) and free-board .... with two people & gear on board? If not specific measurements, do both have the same free-board & draft for the above loaded condition?

Post subject: Re: Tandem Kayak Spec's
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Airhog:
I have sailed and kayaked with both boats many times, with/without gear, solo and tandem, and on the TI with and without the AMA's. Keep in mind here my Oasis was the older model, where when going solo you had to be in the back seat (wasn't really designed to be operated from the front seat solo).
I weigh 250 lbs and when operating the Oasis solo from the back seat it sat very deep in the water, we would have difficulty going thru 8 inches of water (with the mirage drive folded under the hull). Where the TI which I normally drive solo from the front seat can easily kayak or sail in 5 inches of water ( I do it all the time over sand bars). On the TI the centerboard easily raises up into the hull (flush with hull). Also the new rudder system on the TI can be released so it points straight back (only going into the water 3 or 4 inches), where you can still steer just fine (a little harder to steer when horizontal, but still managable).
The TI is larger with much more flotation so it is not as affected by the load (depthwise) as the Oasis was. The Oasis has the twist and stow rudder, so that needs to be raised completely when in shallow water, and steering is done via paddle.
Even in shallow water (<6 inches) I still use the mirage drive to get around with the TI, I just shallow peddle, it's still faster than it would be with me using the paddles ( I hate using the paddles, and have only used them once or twice).
When using the TI with the AMA's it's even better because the AMA's support some of the weight. I have folded the AMA's back in shallow water to be able to get through shallow water, the folded AMA's raise the lowest point in the water at least a couple inches.

We have ran rapids in both the Oasis and the TI (kayak mode), the TI is superior (steers better, much more stable). Another big deal is our TI is way faster in kayak mode than our Oasis ever was, it's even faster than our Revolution ( I believe the TI is their fastest hull).
I know the Oasis has been re-designed and understand the new design is much better so I'm not comparing apples to apples. Also I am hugely biased because I love the TI sooo much, and would never go back to an Oasis.
Another big deal about the TI is with the AMA's and tramps on the storage is huge, we often use our TI as a scuba diving platform, thats myself, my wife, 4 dive tanks, plus all of our gear, of course we are at max weight (600 lbs) when we go out diving, but it doesn't seem to effect the performance. We have had 3 or 4 people out on the TI many times (people on the tramps).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

As straight kayaks, there is not much difference in draft. Typically loaded both probably draw about 4". Freeboard varies by boat and location (see pics below). Both have similarly shaped tri-lobed hulls with with very moderate rocker.

Being 4' longer and 2" narrower, the Tandem "Adventure" is about about 36 lb. heavier (according to my scale) and somewhat faster (with 2 pedalers). I agree with fusioneng that it is potentially the fastest Hobie, with the Adventure a close second, Oasis (with 2) third and Revolution 13 fourth. The TA has more deck space and 50# greater capacity, so is relatively spacious.

Both boats are very stable (TA more so); the Oasis has an edge on turning and would probably be better in restricted areas where tight maneuvering is required. With more deck space, the TA has more load options. Significantly shorter and lighter, the Oasis offers more loading and transport options for most people.

Sailing, there really is no comparison. The Tandem Island is an exciting and versatile sailer whereas sailing is an afterthought with the Oasis.

The current Oasis bears little resemblance to any of the three older Oasis models, so one must be careful in characterizing the new Oasis based on any of the older models. 8)

Tandem Adventure at slow cruise

Oasis sprinting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner is correct, all my experience was on the older Oasis style hull, and doesn't neccessarily apply here.

From everything I see on the new Oasis design, it is an awesome boat, Hobie really did their homework.

I car top my TI, as I did my Oasis, I load and unload the thing every weekend by myself with no issues, it takes about the same effort as the Oasis did to load onto the car (actually a little easier in my opinion because it's easier to grab onto for some reason).