Hobie Forums
http://www.hobie.com/forums/

Long Distance - Mirage Drive vs. Touring Kayak
http://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44762
Page 1 of 1

Author:  trainsktg [ Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Long Distance - Mirage Drive vs. Touring Kayak

All,

Does anyone have any experience racing touring kayaks with their Mirage boat over long distances, especially in conditions that aren't ideal for a regular kayak? If so, what were the results? No sail, just legs.

I just did 60 miles down the Columbia River in about 15 hours (broken up over two days) on my Revo 13. Conditions were a fairly even mix of heavy chop, flatwater and strong headwind. I honestly can't see anything short of an experienced kayaker in a surf ski being able to keep up. (Not that I'm any good...it is definitely all the boat :D )

Keith

Author:  dregsfan [ Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Long Distance - Mirage Drive vs. Touring Kayak

Nothing long distance, but I did enter my Adventure in a 3-4 mile rowing regatta last year. Only 4 other kayaks (all paddle) were in my class; two surf skis and two touring kayaks. I finished in third place. Just couldn't catch those skis. Another 2-3 miles and it may have been a different story.

Author:  Kal-P-Dal [ Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Long Distance - Mirage Drive vs. Touring Kayak

I wrote about a similar race:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44573

I quote myself:
"Surfskies with good paddlers are the fastest, fast sea kayaks with good paddlers are very hard to beat. But the rest are possible..."

br
thomas

Author:  Kramster [ Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Long Distance - Mirage Drive vs. Touring Kayak

dregsfan wrote:
Nothing long distance, but I did enter my Adventure in a 3-4 mile rowing regatta last year. Only 4 other kayaks (all paddle) were in my class; two surf skis and two touring kayaks. I finished in third place. Just couldn't catch those skis. Another 2-3 miles and it may have been a different story.


Hobies have there own race this year!...ok peddle category.

Author:  dregsfan [ Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Long Distance - Mirage Drive vs. Touring Kayak

I'm entered. How about you?

Kramster wrote:
Hobies have there own race this year!...ok peddle category.

Author:  trainsktg [ Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Long Distance - Mirage Drive vs. Touring Kayak

Kal-P-Dal wrote:
I wrote about a similar race:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44573

I quote myself:
"Surfskies with good paddlers are the fastest, fast sea kayaks with good paddlers are very hard to beat. But the rest are possible..."

br
thomas


Yes, that would be the anecdotal information I was looking for. Presumably the folks in the surf skis were competition-caliber athletes...that win time is incredibly fast. Yours is pretty good too!

Keith

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/