Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I ordered a eVolve kit today, should arrive late next week. My original thought was to mount it on the rudder but based on forum posts it seems most popular to use it in the mirage drive. Anyone willing to share their experience on which route they went and why? Do I need any special tools to do the install? Is a rudder mount reversible or can I remove it temporarily for paddling only trips?

I potentially will buy a Pro Angler 12 next month after the local demo day. I'd like to use the drive in both yaks. Anyone share their evolve among multiple yaks.. curious about what additional cables etc I will need to buy.

Last edited by DoubleOSeven on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might want to edit the title of your post to include the words "Need advice on Evolve mounting" or something similar. Your current title won't attract the specific Evolve owners that you are looking for, and could very quickly move down the list unanswered by those who know the answers, but didn't check your post because of the slightly vague title.

There are definitely people on this board who can help you, they just need to know what you're asking without having to read every post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have one, but I've had a go on a yak that had one fitted on the rudder.
The most obvious advantage was the ability to help it along using the mirage drive. You can significantly increase the range of the motor using this method.

Oatesy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DoubleOSeven wrote:
I ordered a eVolve kit today, should arrive late next week. My original thought was to mount it on the rudder but based on forum posts it seems most popular to use it in the mirage drive. Anyone willing to share their experience on which route they went and why? Do I need any special tools to do the install? Is a rudder mount reversible or can I remove it temporarily for paddling only trips?

I potentially will buy a Pro Angler 12 next month after the local demo day. I'd like to use the drive in both yaks. Anyone share their evolve among multiple yaks.. curious about what additional cables etc I will need to buy.

Hello,
I ordered my evolve July 28th and will receive the end of sept. at the earliest. So you will have ample time to prepare for your install. On the Hobie support page there is a install manual you can download with a tool list. I'm installing mine on the rudder because I have a Revo 11. Good luck. If you receive yours in a week or so ,please post.
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Double0seven,

I have a eVolve unit mounted on the rudder of my Revolution 13,
I find it excellent as a assist to the mirage drive, especialy against tides,
headwinds or strong currents.
Also when using the eVolve with the mirage drive, your range is greatly increased.
The only downside is when not using the eVolve, and your doing average speed, the flow of the water past the propeller causes the motor to spin and
create the same noise as if its running.
If I plan to pedal only or go onto a waterway where the use of motors are banned, I just take the propeller off, problem solved.

Cheers,
Montedane.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

montedane wrote:
Hi Double0seven,

I have a eVolve unit mounted on the rudder of my Revolution 13,
I find it excellent as a assist to the mirage drive, especialy against tides,
headwinds or strong currents.
Also when using the eVolve with the mirage drive, your range is greatly increased.
The only downside is when not using the eVolve, and your doing average speed, the flow of the water past the propeller causes the motor to spin and
create the same noise as if its running.
If I plan to pedal only or go onto a waterway where the use of motors are banned, I just take the propeller off, problem solved.

Cheers,
Montedane.

Can you unmount the Evolve motor and put the sailing rudder on? I read the install guide and it calls for marine goop on the bottom screws.

Unfortunately it seems the delivery date for my unit has been delayed again. Hoping I get the newer revised evolve v2 unit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
I wish use evolve motor for my Hobie Oasis. But there is a big problem:
it is possible listening how much noise is strong when evolve is running, in a youtube video of an user. I don't like this at all ... and you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobiecat should have to change his evolve description: "quiet electric motor". This isn't true.
Evolve is the most noisy of all.
Strong uhmmmmmmm isn't a sweet music: it is noise, strong noise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally got out on the water with the evolve with it mounted on the rudder on my Rev 11. Works good but not great. Aside from it being loud, it requires careful weight balancing. What i mean is if I sit on the mid hatch to access the bow hatch the motor reaches the surface or atleast sounds like it and sudden drop in propulsion speed. I'm going to move the battery from the bow to the rear hatch to help keep weight on the rear to see if that improves performance.

And if anyone's considering getting one, yes you can easily remove it from the rudder to convert it back to the miragedrive mount.

My top speed so far is 6MPH.