Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good Price??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, This is all new to me, but here are a couple the questions

I found an Outback on craigslist for sale. 2008/12ft was wondering what a good price to pay for a used Kayak is asking price is 1400.00 includes a fish finder. and the dune tire wheel thing. Tried this one out last last. And I liked it! But it was the first one EVER to try.

Also am looking at a 2012 14ft Pro Angler asking price on that one is 2300.00

are these good asking prices?

Live in KY and they are not that common here. so I don't know what a good price would be.

Planned usage is for both fishing & kayaking on rivers and lakes

Would appreciate any thoughts on either one.

Post subject: Re: Good Price??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For the pro angler I think it's a good price. The outback I don't think so, you may want to call some dealers in your area and see if they are selling thier demo's, I'm looking at a 2012 outback demo for 1400.00 tomarrow. The fish finder you can add later and have a newer model year.

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own a 2010 Outback and really like it........it has several improvements over the 2008 Outback you found........my take is to go for the 2012 Pro angler as it has upgrades that I am sure you would appreciate.
The down side is the PA is heavier, but stabler.....if you can afford the $$, IMO the PA is a decent price if in excellent condition. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My rule of thumb is if you can afford new, buy new. Hobie is constantly upgrading small pieces and parts here and there. There's nothing wrong with buying a good used boat, but I don't find many people who wish they had saved the money after buying a new Hobie. Most people are happy with their new boats and rarely mention the cost. If it's a real stretch to go new, then used makes a lot of sense too. No sense going broke and being stressed out trying to buy something that is supposed to be used to relieve stress.

The differences between the Outback and the Pro Angler are pretty substantial. Have a look at Hobie's website and take a really close look at each boat, and all of their features. It's very difficult for someone with different interests than you to help you choose a boat.

One thing I will say, if you are primarily fishing from the boat, the Pro Angler has some great built in features for that. The Outback is a slightly older design which used to be the gold standard for fishing boats in the Hobie lineup, but the Pro Anglers have taken that title now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My rule of thumb is Buy Used. If you shop around and aren't in a hurry, you can get much more for your money. Craigslist is your friend and bring cash. :wink:

I only recommend Pro Anglers if you are fishing 100% of the time. They make crappy cruisers if you're going more than a few miles. Otherwise go for the Outback or some other model.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sold my 2008 Outback, including Garmin 300C F/F, for $1,200. It was in great shape. Sold it in 15 min's after posting it.

With the price increase on the PA 12's, $2,300 isn't a bad price :!: :!:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dregsfan wrote:
I only recommend Pro Anglers if you are fishing 100% of the time. They make crappy cruisers if you're going more than a few miles. Otherwise go for the Outback or some other model.

To each his own for the new vs. used. (I have one of each right now) But to say that the Pro Angler is a crappy cruiser, when you're comparing the Outback, might be a bit of a stretch. The Adventure is the best Mirage Drive long distance cruising kayak that Hobie makes. The Revolution 13 is probably the second best. Once you get to the Outback, Pro Anglers or Sport for longer distance cruising, you're talking about boats that weren't designed with long distance cruising as a top priority.

The most popular suggestion on this board, has always been to test ride the boats that you are considering. Everyone has different tastes and preferences. What one person considers slow, the other might find to be fast. What's comfortable for one, is less comfortable for the other.

This is really why it's hard for others to tell you which boat to buy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I thought we were talking PA14 vs Outback here. I've put several miles on both. There is no comparison, other than the OB was Hobie's most popular fishing yak until the PA came along. I do agree about demoing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are going to buy second hand remember caveat-emptor and do carefully examine the boat before handing over your hard-earned cash. I recommend you look out for small hairline cracks particularly in the area of the drive well. I think the front & back of the drivewell are the most likely place. Other people have been caught out by buying a boat which takes on water and cracks in this area, while relatively uncommon (Hobie having taken care to iron out an issue which seemed to occur on early boats), are very difficult to fix.

Apart from that nothing wrong with saving money by buying second hand in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I concur on the importance of demoing.
If putting it in the water and using the mirage drive isn't possible, you can also bring along a spray bottle of water with dilute dishsoap, and an air pump (electric tire pump works great). Add positive pressure to the kayak through the drainhole (sealing around it with something flexible) while spraying the soap solution on the kayak's seams, and on any noticeable gouges. Most importantly, spray the scupper holes where the drive attaches.