Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrade stock paddle?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have no paddle skills but in low tide I need to bust out the paddle to cross over very shallow flats, tall thick seaweed beds, or navigate through skinny creeks and twisting mangrove trails where the mirage drive/rudder don't give the necessary precision maneuvering.

The stock paddle feels a bit heavy and tiresome to use. It's largely probably my lack of paddling technique but I'm wondering if buying one of those $150 hybrid paddles with the thinner blade will make it easier and more comfortable to paddle? Anyone know what the stock paddle weighs? I have the two-piece model that came with the 2012 Rev 11.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting, I never had [those] problems with the Hobie paddle (I got the same revo11 package). However, I did break my paddle on a rather nasty surf launch, so I replaced it with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Tripper-Aluminum-Kayak-Paddle/dp/B001AI0Q2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348594551&sr=8-1&keywords=daytripper+paddle

The two piece aluminum paddle felt comparable, if not a tad lighter, than the stock paddle and gives me a bit more confidence that it won't snap like the last one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We bought the T Handles for the Hobie paddles, put them on and replace half of the paddles and never went back to the regular paddles. A Hobie paddle with the T Handles is easier to store on and off your Revo and easier to handle, pardon the pun.

The T handles work great launching and landing our Oasis, aka, the US Enterprise, CVA65 and manuvering it in tight and shallow areas.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/124 ... andle.html

I have the adjustable graphite AT paddle for my Freedom Hawks, and it is not easy to use. In fact the regular Hobie paddle is less tiring.

If the T handle doesn't fit your needs, buy an adjustable standup paddle. I'm not recommending standing up in your Revo 11, but a standup paddle can be used to pole, repel rocks/docks and works great for short range paddling and getting around in tight areas. Freedom Hawk makes an excellent one which is very sturdy and works great for less than a $100.

DoubleOSeven wrote:
I have no paddle skills but in low tide I need to bust out the paddle to cross over very shallow flats, tall thick seaweed beds, or navigate through skinny creeks and twisting mangrove trails where the mirage drive/rudder don't give the necessary precision maneuvering.

The stock paddle feels a bit heavy and tiresome to use. It's largely probably my lack of paddling technique but I'm wondering if buying one of those $150 hybrid paddles with the thinner blade will make it easier and more comfortable to paddle? Anyone know what the stock paddle weighs? I have the two-piece model that came with the 2012 Rev 11.