Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been hearing more and more about this color having hull failures around the drive system on this color yak. Is there any truth to this? I am looking at a pre-owned (rarely used) sand colored 05' model for about $1095. I'm kind of getting cold feet I guess after reading about these problems.

Second Question is will the warranty be extended to me, or can I purchase an extended warranty. Thanks I really appreciate the info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Vlaude and welcome to the forum. Since sand is the most popular color, it stands to reason that it has the most defects. I don't think color has anything to do with leaks; leaks and other defects are relatively rare but since nobody squaks unless they have a problem, they sound more prevalent than they really are.

The boat warranty goes with the boat, not the owner; so being a second or subsequent owner isn't a problem as long as it's a warranty issue. Hobie is excellent about replacing defective hulls, so if it's under warranty and actually has a defect, you might get a new hull for the price of a used one!

There is one "fix" that is available for your model -- new longer screws for your drive cams and reinforcement for the drive well. It's free from Hobie and it comes with instructions. See the nearest Hobie dealer for details. 8)