Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surfer bitten by shark in latest attack off Calif.
Associated Press,
Wed Oct 31, 1:02 PM UTC

EUREKA, Calif. -- Hospital officials were expected to release more information Wednesday after a 25-year-old surfer was apparently bitten by a shark off the coast of Eureka, the latest in a string of shark attacks in California this year.

Other surfers drove him from the beach to a highway where he was transferred to an ambulance, the Eureka Times-Standard reported ( http://bit.ly/ScsMHU). The injured surfer underwent surgery and was listed in fair condition Tuesday.

The Humboldt County sheriff's office said the man had a 14-inch bite wound and other injuries. He told a deputy he had been attacked by a shark.

Jason Gabriel said he had just finished surfing when he saw several people helping the man out of the water. He had at least four gashes between his ribs and hips, Gabriel said.

"It punctured all the way through. There were guts and meat hanging," he said, adding that the victim appeared to be in shock. "He was going, 'Oh my God, oh my God.'"

The attack happened at a popular surfing spot called the North Jetty. Another surfer, David Hargrave, said he heard the bitten man call for help and saw him wade back to shore while bleeding heavily.

The injured man's name has not been released. Leslie Broomall, a spokeswoman at St. Joseph Hospital in Eureka, said she could not release any more information but that he would speak with reporters Wednesday.

A 39-year-old surfer died in another shark attack off Santa Barbara County last week. A shark expert determined his injuries likely were inflicted by a 15- to 16-foot great white shark.

Two kayakers - one in Santa Cruz County in July and the other in San Luis Obispo County in May - reported that sharks bit their boats.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surf board after this recent shark attack.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surfer says he punched Great White Shark until it let go

Read more: http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/national/S ... z2B0BBJPuU

Great news.

Most of the young surfers I have met are in great shape and very tough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:53 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Thank you for sharing! I'd like to think I would remain that calm and focused and still want to keep surfing after an attack. Great to hear that he'll be okay.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bcastile wrote:
Thank you for sharing! I'd like to think I would remain that calm and focused and still want to keep surfing after an attack. Great to hear that he'll be okay.

A few years a young woman in this area lost part of her arm and hand in a Great White attack. I think she was back on her boards with in months.

Beyond their addiction to surfing they feel that the odds are in their favor once they survive a shark attack.