Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Been frustrated installing bushings on Wheeleez cart for Outback?
yes 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
no 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[i]Just purchased an 2013 Outback & Wheeleez foam wheel cart. The wheel cart came with bushings to place on the shafts of wheel cart & snug to scuppers for additional support. However, the bushings ARE IMPOSSIBLE[/b] to install!!

Calls to Hobie customer service & seller of the Outback, all said there is no known problem. Finally a Hobie technician said the wheel cart is not manufactured by Hobie & bushings are intended for much heavier Hobies & NOT for the Outback!! Bottom line: accompanying instructions do not say this!! but it's safe to use cart without the bushings. Tried installing them on a 2012 Outback tandem, with same results, they don't work.

Have since heard cutting a tennis ball in half, placing each half on each shaft of the cart will somewhat buffer the inserting of the cart into the scuppers.]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2011 Hobie Outback and the wheeled cart you describe. I used the cart bushing but cover them with two tennis balls with X cuts in them that allow the balls to cover the bushing. It should be noted that the bushing are set a little lower to allow for this without actually rubbing up again the kayak and deforming the hull. The padded cross support shaft also can cause the hull to deform, if the kayak is left on it too long. The problem is you are asking a curved hull to be supported by a straight padded bar resulting in too much stress in a small area. My solution to this was to go the Autozone store and get some auto seat belt webbing. I cut the belt to a length, that when two one inch holes are cut into the belt at either end and then you slide the belt over the upright posts of the cart, creating a loop cradle effect that matches the curvature of the hull. The result is no hull deformity when left on the cart. Hope this gives you some ideas.