Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI capacity
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone tried carrying two people on an AI that isn't a tandem? Is it too much for it? I was thinking of adding some trampolines to an AI so I can take a passenger.

Post subject: Re: AI capacity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are videos on YouTube of people out with two people on AI's. I've taken my dad out, he was the heaviest person. I'm about 170lbs, he's about 155lbs. The capacity for the Adventure Kayak is 350 lbs. The weight capacity doesn't increase with the Amas on the Adventure Island.

200 lbs of weight can be mounted on either trampoline at a time, but that means that you only have 150 lbs of capacity left. In other words, if you have a 200 pounder on your tramp, you better weigh 150 or less.

Having said all of that, the AI can definitely sail with two people. The boat will sit lower in the water, and be slower. In our case, we felt the most comfortable switching sides with each tack to put the person on the trampoline on the high side trampoline.

The lighter your total weight (two people, plus gear) the better it is. It's wet, and the second person can't expect a plush sailboat ride. It's wet, but fun. Not fun in the adrenaline rush way, just fun in the, "We're out on the water in a tiny little boat, one with nature" kind of way.

So yeah. If the weight works, and you're not planning long trips, and your passenger is aware of what it means to sail with two people on a single seat Adventure Island, Go for it!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats interesting. I would think that the amas would add some payload or at least offload some of the weight. Anyone else tried this?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While the ama's probably add some capacity in theory, sailing adds higher forces as well. That's my assumption for the weight capacity limit being the same on either configuration.

The boat will certainly float with more than 350 lbs, but you don't want to risk a failure to the rig by over stressing it. In addition, the trade off in performance when you get up near the weight limit might be a factor for some. The boat simply becomes less fun when it can't react to the wind as quickly as it would with less weight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With all the weight (say 300-350 pounds) on the hull, the AI sails well, but is slightly faster when lighter. With more weight out on the Hobie tramps, the boat digs into the water and doesn't sail as well, with the passengers butt normally in the water slowing that side.

On the TI, which is higher off the water, the passenger normally is not sitting in the water when on tramps. (Not an issue with Haka)

We did some "testing" a while ago with a light passenger on an AI in many positions. The best sailing was back-to-back on the hull, as long as they don't get seasick. Pretty easy to rig a second seat that way.

Facing forward on the back deck was more comfortable for the passanger, but put the stern underwater, slowing the boat (but still handling well), and putting the rudder lines underwater causing more water to seep into the hull.

Lastly the 350# weight limit on the AI is fairly accurate, as the water in the Mirage drive well is about an inch from the center hatch, when trimmed well. The 600# limit on the TI is very conservative (IMO).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. I have an Adventure right now and I am trying to decide on the next upgrade. I'd really like to take my wife with me when I go, so now I am considering a Tandem Island. I might sell the Adventure and then try to get my hands on a TI. Is the TI too much for one person to handle?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI can be a bit more work on the water than an AI, but not too hard as a single till the winds get over 20knots. Then it's more work but still doable solo. It's on land that it can be a bear! But if you plan it all out ahead, it can be manageable. (a trailer helps!)

I've only sailed TI's the last couple of months on purpose since the AI is second nature to me after 6+ years of sailing it, but the TI can still be a little intimidating when conditions or circumstances surprise me.

You could always build your AI into a Bat Boat! (your AI with TI ama + aka) It's one of my next projects from secrets learned from the Bat Cave over on Oahu.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Diver_fcd wrote:
I'd really like to take my wife with me when I go, so now I am considering a Tandem Island.

If you're serious about taking two people and you want to have the most fun while being comfortable, the TI is the way to go.

The AI is fine for short trips, maybe to take a friend out to give them a new experience, but if you want to use the boat like you always have, and have the ability to take two people, the TI can't be beat.

There are all kinds of people that solo the TI, so there doesn't seem to be a tremendous learning curve if you're stepping up from an Adventure Island.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have both an AI and a TI and even when going solo now I hardly ever take the AI out. In fact, it hasn't moved since I bought the TI.

The only thing that I've found more difficult on the TI versus the AI regards steering it in pedaling mode in strong winds when the boat is being operated from the aft seat. There is so much area ahead of you that strong enough winds can overcome the rudder. I've been in situations where the best I could do was maintain whatever course I was on - not being able to turn any further into the wind to change course. Not fun and the first time it happened I had cause for concern. I saw no way to get back to my launching point. But it took me all of about 10 minutes to get it figured out.

This handling situation in strong winds can be overcome to a large extent by doing two things - first, make sure you deploy the centerboard even when you're not sailing. This makes it harder for the wind to push the nose of the boat around. And second, trim the boat differently. Any gear you're carrying should be placed in the forward hold or in the forward seat. Doing these two things make the TI almost as easy as the AI to handle solo in strong winds.

As far as actually sailing the TI solo - you'll love it.