Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

To be honest, i have been using this method for years in all types of seas and i have not had any issues in the slightest , and i always have to deal with large boat wakes hitting me in both directions, but , still no issues.

You can also (while i have never felt the need) rig a second pull cord to close the front hatch by attaching it to the bungie that closes the lid .

I have even purposely dumped in a shallower lagoon to test how much water would enter and to my surprise even when unlatched it was extremely minimal . Would i recommend it for out front ? no , but for all other fishing and yakking that most people do it's proved the perfect solution for me.

By the way it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to access the front hatch by doing a split and attempting to shimmi my way forward as the rear of my yak rears up and decides it wants to go in another direction, dumping me in the process. Your gymnastic skills make be more finally tuned than mine though.

:wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Cnnashman, I think your remote hatch device is really cool -- makes the hatch usable without having to leave your seat! Your excellent pics illustrate it very nicely. Was wondering what the platform is used for.

At the same time, I wanted to reiterate your own cautionary note with an an actual example of the possible consequences. This was not meant as a criticism. There are many forum members who are very safety cautious and as we all know, anything can happen on the water. Being prepared to deal with unplanned potential events is a good idea.

I wouldn't suggest shimmying up to the front hatch on the Revo 11 (in response to the original poster) if I thought it was risky or unstable without at least pointing out the risks. Anyone feeling uncomfortable trying it should avoid it or at least try it close to shore! Haven't tried this on the Outback but appreciate your cautionary comments. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner i was joking with my comment about the kayak popping a wheelie and going in the other direction. Your advice is always appreciated and your a major help in so many areas regarding kayaks and ingenious methods to enjoy doing it better, and i mean that.

I was just hoping to give ideas to people and they can take away what they want from it. Of course it's not perfect and safety is always first, i understand having the front hatch unsecured can be dangerous.

I was just relaying my experience. I have used it for accessing items in the front hatch from the seated position by using one of those extension gizmos that people use to get things down that they can't reach .

I have also used it to hold baitfish because i really hate always reaching behind me to get bait, with the extended net displayed in the pic i just pull the string and dip the net into the container that holds my live baitfish and pin one on a hook, the lid closes instantly and i am going to see about securely closing the lid from the seated position (i have some ideas).

Anyways, i enjoy your posts and keep up the good work.