Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had always a little water in hull after a trip but now it's coming in heavier. I haven't been able to find any crack but installed the drive reppair kit on my adventure for good measure- it really stiffend up the support coumns well and the fiber glass part fit nice and snug with a ton of marine goop.....

So I figured I was safe and have been pedaling faster with more force for the last week and half and I have been getting more and more water in the hull every time even in flat conditions....after going a test today by placing water in hull- I found the area and it exactly in the place I made repair....I think there is too much give in the repair kit--the marine goop is not a hard enough substance and there is still some give... I had let it dry over 36 hours before using.

Post subject: Goop replaced
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:27 am 
Site Admin

We don't actually expect the retrofit to repair a cracked drive well. A boat with a crack should be replaced. This is a stiffener for undamaged boats, but we have gone to a 90 second epoxy for the kit now. We also experienced an issue with the goop. We did a boat repair with the epoxy that was tested with 300 pounds of pressure on the pedals with no damage done to the well or kit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: repair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

Do you know if anyone has tried to remove the marine goop fix and replace it with this epoxy fix? I'm only partially satisfied with the marine goop repair on my Adventure. I don't have any crack in the hull. I'm happy with the longer bolts...they have stopped the drive from moving...there is a little damage that resulted from the cams not holding the drive in place and allowing the drive to move forward which distorted the plastic where the drive is seated under the cams.

Klay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I didn't know I had a crack until after i made repair and began to pedal harder-I will be replacing the hull but I live in Ma and KFS is in NJ. I wish i had the epoxy from the beginning. Jon said i coud go to another dealer. (There is one 15 minutes from my house) New England Smnall craft.

I've made holes in the hull for rod holders, compass etc... that should not delay anything corrrect?

Post subject: In the same boat as Klay
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry I didn't read this post first before responding on the other one about the Fix Kit.

My situation is the same as Klay's. Just really wondering if it is even feasible to get all the Marine Goop out once you've got it in there.

One thing I also did was to put two layers of popsicle stick underneath the forward part of the Mirage Drive, using medium CA glue. My Mirage Drive rests quite securely in the well with no movement back and forth whatsoever. I think Matt made this suggestion a few weeks ago.

That Marine Goop looks like pretty tuff stuff, but also fairly pliable.

Thanks

Post subject: Goop removal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Not sure about removing the goop. Seems it is pretty tough. That is why they used it in the first place...it holds. I would suggest leaving the repair as is. Maybe add a little pad on top as suggested by Razorback.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)