Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I have an adventure which looks like it qualifies for the reenforcing kit for the drive cams. How do i get it.
Also looks like the screw in fittings are cracking the hull on my Green Adventure Fish. From overtightening or???.
I'm thinking of epoxing them in the recesses and calling it good.
thanks
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do not recollect a reinforcing kit for the cam columns - there was one for the end of the drivewell though.

Personally I wouldn't epoxy anything into my deck, especially if cracking exists; epoxy is susceptible to UV degradation and normal epoxies don't bond well to polyethylene (the Hobie hull material) in any case.

my $0.02: if it were me I would perform a test with a non-invasive and semi-permanent solution - a prime candidate to my mind would be some sort of silicone goop - either marine or domestic versions - some are adhesive and some are just goop - you should be able to find one that will seal cracks and be easily replaced/redone if the need arises.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for reply.
The kit I'm referring to is "81410011 MirageDrive Well Retrofit".
I'm thinking there's some kind of fix for a potential failure.

the epoxy i'm thinking of using is Gflex which is designed for High Density Polyethelene.
I'm not sure if i should be trying to close up the cracks to be like "new" and then reinsert the fasteners or just epoxy them in place. Sand and paint......
I'm guessing the plastics have different coefficients of expansions causing the hull to split. Or perhaps freezing standing water expanded the plastic.
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:10 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

luskateer wrote:
Hi,
I have an adventure which looks like it qualifies for the reenforcing kit for the drive cams. How do i get it.
It's a helicoil kit your dealer can request from Hobie. I think it's a little too large for the columns and may cause more problems than it solves, especially with your plastic becoming more rigid as it ages. My fear is that it may split the columns.

A better solution IMO is to remove the cam bolts, clean and dry the columns (compressed air) put a little GFlex in the cavity and reinsert the bolts. It doesn't take much. Make sure it stays off the cams so they continue to spin freely, adjust the height (with Drive temporarily inserted) before the glue sets and you should be good to go. If you accidentally get glue on the cams, just rotate them every half hour or so so the while the glue is still setting. GFlex, contrary to its label, is not particularly strong with PE, but should be good enough to stabilize the bolts yet not to lock them in permanently.

BTW, this would be a good time to replace your cams if the serrations are showing any sign of wear. Indications of this would be a less secure lock-up with the Drive or unwinding.
Quote:
Also looks like the screw in fittings are cracking the hull on my Green Adventure Fish. From overtightening or???.
I'm thinking of epoxying them in the recesses and calling it good.
That sounds like a good plan. GFlex will probably handle that job as well (good enough to hold them in place while sealing cracks). 8)