Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Cassette Plug
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! I'm the brand-new owner of a Hobie Mirage Sport. As I understand it, previous models came with the Mirage Cassette Plug as standard equipment. Now, the Plug is an accessory for purchase.

Can anyone give me a good reason I might want one? I can think of many other accessories I might want, before the Plug. It's kind of pricey for a simple piece of plastic to plug a hole.

Thanks much!

Post subject: Re: Mirage Cassette Plug
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cassette plugs still come with every kayak we make. If you purchased the kayak from a dealer brand new - it should have come with one. I'd request the missing item from them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have mine somewhere. I can't think of a single use for it, unless you were going to push-pole your Hobie in only inches of water and you wanted to limit/prevent mud splashing in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you plan to install a plug and play electric motor though the mirage drive opening i would get one. I have seen people drill a hole through the middle and put the shaft for an electric motor through the cassette plug , the mirage drive cassette is a base which allows you to do this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all for the information. Upon informing the retailer that the Cassette Plug was standard equipment, they now say they will send one. Annoying.

Now I'm thinking of several new ways to use one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The cassette plug is a very useful bit of kit under two or three or four or five circumstances and I am very pleased to hear that it remains a standard part:
1. removing the drive and replacing it with a plug gives you noticeable extra speed when sailing and makes the boat respond differently (and better)
2. the same applies to paddling - if you have to paddle any distance you should remove the drive and replace it with the plug - the drag of the boat through the will be reduced considerably which is of great interest if you are trying to propel it with a paddle!
3. if you have a double and are taking littlies out or are transporting e.g. camping gear in one or other cockpit it is very useful to replace the drive with the plug; you don't need the drive and a big hole in the floor could be an issue for little ones. The amount of water sloshing about in the cockpit will also be dramatically reduced.
4. some people have filled their drive plugs with ballast for use on a double.
5. if you have to pull the drive at sea to repair it, it is useful to put the plug into the hole so that if you drop a tool or a part there is less chance that it will disappear through the hole in the floor! (can anyone detect the experienced tone in which these last words are imparted ? :oops: )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cnnashman wrote:
I have seen people drill a hole through the middle and put the shaft for an electric motor through the cassette plug , the mirage drive cassette is a base which allows you to do this.

stobbo wrote:
Some people have filled their drive plugs with ballast for use on a double.

These are interesting ideas, and by extension I think if I plan to sail without outriggers perhaps I can use the cassette as a base to mount a keel/daggerboard to.