Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanted to share my experience with this Harken hoist system.
Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AQNRQI/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I paid about $100 for it, but I searched around for this price.

Overall, it was very easy to install if you are comfortable drilling holes in the ceiling/trusses of your garage. My only suggestion is to take your time laying it out as the mounting location of the block and tackle is critical to ensure the ropes lower and raise to the correct height. However, almost everything is adjustable, so mistakes are easy to correct.

I use this system to store an Adventure in the garage. With 9 ft ceilings, I have plenty of clearance to walk under it (I'm 6'2") and park my SUV. The 145 capacity easily handles the kayak and about 15-20 lbs of gear I leave in it. The supplied straps will scratch the plastic hull, but it is minimal. If you are concerned with small scratches, I recommend covering the straps with foam tubing (e.g., tubular pipe insulation http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=foam+tubing&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All).

The best part of the system is the ability to lower and raise the kayak to any height you like. I even lower mine to about waist height for easy access to work on the kayak or load gear. Then I put the scupper cart in with the retaining pin, lower it to the ground, and roll it right out of my garage down to the dock.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the review, I bought this system and plan to install it after I clean the garage next week. I have the Oasis and I got the 7803 too because of the capacity.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my first post so bear with me guys? Once you have used the Harken Hoist model 7803 you will not use any other method to store your kayak.I have used one when I first took delivery of my Revolution back in 07. Sold the Revo and just took delivery of a Pro Angler 14 and the Harken lifts it with all the gear stored in it without a problem. I have a garage with 2700 (9ft ) ceiling and have installed it straight on to the roof trusses, I fitted some webbing sleeves around the straps that you run under the kayak to increase the support area. If you can find someone who has a Harken go over and check it out they are brilliant. When you are lifting and let go of the cord it automatically locks it self and to let it downpull the cord toward you and slowly let it down,I stop about knee height fit the trolley wheels,finish lowering to the garage floor pick it up and away you go out on to the trailer. Do your self a favour and get a Harken, free up your floor space so you can store more of your toys, my PA hangs above my bass boat.
Check out Shane from Binks Marine in Australia on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rwH7563mbs or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5R2cNmqIGk