Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Gang,
I found another use for my new Oasis Sports Utility Kayak, SUK. I was actually able to stand up paddle on it comfortably the past Sunday. I have thought about getting an SUP as well and have been drooling over the Hobie Elite SUPs , however since the Oasis performed well as a stand up kayak, I will hold off, maybe for a little while. I am 5’7” and 165ish and so it might be easier for us smaller guys. I have not used a traditional SUP yet, but the Oasis seemed to glide through the water just fine. Since I have been primarily going solo with my smaller dog Theo I have been putting a collapsible 5 gallon water container in the front hatch as a ballast. This really helps keep the bow down and allows it to cut through the water. I kept the rudder down and tried to keep it oriented straight. If I felt I was tracking to one side more, I would gently adjust the rudder steering knob with my oar. I also used the stock Hobie oar by just letting it slide up and down in between changing sides. This worked out pretty well and it was nice to change up the paddling position. I actually felt more comfortable paddling standing up. It's really nice to be able to vary your workout on the water.

Team No Bananas
2013 Oasis, Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Carlos,

I read your earlier posting about the 5 gallon collapsible water jug from Wal-Mart. I went into their website after reading and found a couple of different ones. Is the one you purchased the Coleman brand?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Roger,
Yes, it is the Coleman.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Water ... L/13848633

Just play around with the amount of water to see what works for you. I only weigh around 165ish and I fill it up approx 2/3rds full. Make sure to leave the cap/spigot off or just put the spigot on the on position so the extra air will come out when you put the container into the front hatch.

Team No Bananas
2013 Oasis, Ivory Dune