Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd consider myself very experienced at loading and cartopping boats...however... just looking for ideas on technique to side load the Revo upside down. My 4runner is fairly tall.

Thinking of getting the Yakima bar extension to help with side loading... right now my current bars are fairly long and stick out some, but more would be better.

The main issue I have loading my Revo13, is turning it over, either before I put one end up, or after one end is up there. It's plain hard to handle while upside down.
If I turn it over first, then put one end on the forward bars, when I go around to grab the back end, better go real slow and careful, hard to hold the slippery boat firmly.

Then if I load without turning over first, I have to turn it over while its up there, again very slippery in hand, and on the bars too.

It got away from me two months ago and sheared off my mirror.

I'm interested in some thoughts on how to make this upsidedown load go smoother .. from the side. At this point, let's keep trailers and Hullivator's out. That may come later, but not yet...

I know there are some great minds out here who have good ideas and techniques.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did not own a Revo-13 but a Outback......I initially considered carrying it upside down, but abandoned the idea as my rod and fish finder mounts prevented it....

So, for those of you who are looking for another idea of loading/carrying your kayak, keel down....
The following photo shows the back end of my Subaru and my old Hobie 2010 Outback loaded onto Yakima Mako saddles + the Yakima Showboat loader at the end (skip the 8.5 pound trout).
If you see the line hanging down at the end of the kayak....this is used as a rear safety line and to prevent the kayak from slipping off the Showboat loader while loading.

My method to load the Outback was: on the ground, place it at a 45 degree angle so the end of the kayak is about 7 feet behind the bumper......the safety line is connected to my trailer hitch and the line on the end of the kayak shown hanging down in the photo....the line was fed through the carrying eye on top of the kayak....I tied two bowlines....they will not slip....so the snap swivel can make a quick connection.

Next, lift up the kayaks bow and place it, resting on the Showboat....the kayak is now at about a 45 degree elevation angle .....next, pick up the stern of the kayak......and as you pick it up, it automatically moves inward/forward due to the fixed length of the safety line......push the kayak onto the Mako saddles......it's that simple.

If it's really windy, you can throw another line over the kayak and loosely loop it around the Showboat loader wheel.....there is no way the kayak can get away from you....either to the left or right or slip backwards off the Showboat loader.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Dr. Steel for your time and suggestions. Very aware of that Showboat loader too.
Your use of safety lines certainly gives me some very good ideas for my side loads, might just have solved this!

Once the front of boat raised and set on the front bar and extension, if I run a loop over the boat and tie/attach to bar on each side...like you suggest on your Showboat, then I should be able to safely get the back end up there without the front walking left or right on that slippery front bar. I think that's my answer right there!!!

Once up, then from the rear, I walk the boat into the four Yakima canoe brackets and drop the top rail of the upsidedown Revo into the brackets, once there, its locked down and can't move left/right/forward/backward.

Usually this side loading is no problem in normal conditions, its when windy, or vehicle on uneven roadside parking, tired after all day fishing, (all of these!) where its not the best of conditions. That's the ones that will get you. Just recently I found myself in a bad situation, on side of road, traffic passing kinda close, had to load on offside, ground was lower and my truck is tall ! I had to summon Superman hero strength at last minute when I almost gave out, haha.

That's why I love these forums, one idea sparks another!
But keep the ideas coming!

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mnormand....Hopefully you are on they way to safely loading your Revo!
Agree loading on an angle can be dicey and the wind adds another dimension.....add a slick hull and that can be big trouble.
Be safe......DSC :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2010 4Runner and it certainly is tall! I have the Thule equivalent, the Outrigger II, which is the equivalent of what you are talking about. It works well for me loading my Outback on the 4Runner upside down. Only thing I will say is that anything on the deck will make sliding it more of a challenge. That's why I used a ram ball mounted in the tray for the fishfinder as it stays below the deck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thx ATV223.... I've used flush mount Scotty receivers on the rails and have no problem pushing these over the bars if needed. Easy to do from rear of boat once up there, just lift or pull down on rear of boat as needed, and scoot forward/back.

My 2004 4runner is getting long in the tooth, 204,000 miles now. Not sure what my next vehicle will be, hard to beat the all around capabilities of this 4x4 runner all year round in all my various hobbies/pursuits! Not looking to change just yet. There is a fantastic 4runner forum at http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ if you haven't discovered it yet. I've learned all kinds of stuff about mine, before I just thought I was up to date! :lol:

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2013 13' Revo and 2006 Tundra with camper shell and Yakima traks and bars. I recently replaced the 58" bars with 66" bars. Should have gone with 78" bars. I transfered my Yakima boat loader from the 58" bars to the 66" bars, but never use it. At 52 years old, I can still press my Revo overhead and load it upside down without any damage or issues, despite needing shoulder surgery soon. And I'm not s muscle man. It is getting more difficult though. I also worry about damage to boat or vehicle. I pick up the boat and transition to upside down as I press it overhead.

The boat loader extension would make easier but I would still have to slide, or walk the boat laterally over to the tie-down position. I recently modified a utility trailer I had to be able to transport my Revo and the wife's Outback on which is so much easier on my body than overhead loading.

One thing I do differently than most when cartopping is to tie the bow and stern of the yaks back to the Yakima bars instead of front and rear car bumpers. I feel this give me a much better tie-down and forward or rearward movement stoppage than tying to the bumpers. I have pre-configured ropes and carabiners that let me tie back to the Yakima bars without a lot of struggling or time burn. SO much better than bumper tie-down, and so much less room the boats can move in a hard breaking scenario.

I will try to get some pix and post when I get back home.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CAP1 wrote:

One thing I do differently than most when cartopping is to tie the bow and stern of the yaks back to the Yakima bars instead of front and rear car bumpers. I feel this give me a much better tie-down and forward or rearward movement stoppage than tying to the bumpers.

I once saw a kayak tied down to a carrier rack, go flying off the vehicle with the rack still attached. Tie to the vehicle :!:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2013 Oasis and a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 with an ARE MX Cap equipped with a Yakima Roof Rack system. In a nut shell, my rig is tall and my boat (Blew Maru) is heavy.

I come from a surfing and cycling background, so when my dealer recommended crossbar pads for me, I jumped on it. I new that would be simple and inexpensive. Along with the pads, I also decide to install a Yakima Boatloader. The plan was to enable me to load Blew Maru alone. WRONG!!! Because the Oasis' hull is designed so well, it has a strong tendency to right itself...even when you don't want it righted. Long story short, I put a gouge in the side wall of my boat the first, and only, time I tried to load my boat alone. I became ill. My brand new boat received her first scar and didn't earn it doing something fun or daring.

Since this time, I have always loaded my boat with another person and don't use the Boatloader. Instead, we turn the boat upside down, raise it by the bow and the stern, place the bow on the rear cross bar, and my crew member push the boat forward while the I guide. The

Cap, I'm with you on the whole trailer idea. I'm 56, 6'4", and in decent shape, but my shoulders are very beat up and I'm not sure how long I will be physically able to maintain this method. I've started researching kayak specific trailers to see how and can transform a utility trailer into a transport/storage rack. I do plan to continue taking my boat when my wife and I take travel trailer adventures, so I still need to research/design an easier system to lift my boat onto my truck.

Enjoy,

Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thx Mike, nice pic!

Saturday afternoon when all done, I used DSC's suggestion about a tie off rope to keep the front of boat from slipping off rack as you lift the back. That worked very well, and gave me the confidence I needed. Funny how all the years of throwing boats up there overhead is coming to a slow halt. Still can do it, but don't want to anymore! :lol:

Also to be brutally honest, I'm thinking of selling the Revo. After 3 years, I'm starting to get a little cramped and butt-worn, and ready to look at other boats. Life is short, more boats to try! LOL

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad the tie off rope idea worked for you too!

If you are into fishing.....suggest going for the PA-14....it solves the issues you mentioned.....a really good fishing platform.
I am enjoying my new PA-14....but, for me, using a trailer was the best option...the Trailex trailer works well when modified using parallel 2 7/8" OD, heavy wall PVC pipes or invest in the Hobie cradles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah I look at those PA's continuously, there's a bunch in our club. I already have a Native Ult12 for piddling around on short jaunts. Not sure if this time I want 2nd boat that is still manual labor. Having an ongoing knee issue from too many years of hauling deer stands, backpacks, etc. So far the peddle drives are not affecting it, but that could change.

Kinda looking at some powered microskiffs too. If I'm going to haul a small trailer, the boat will have a small motor, LOL. Seriously I have tons of spots that are just too far and time consuming for paddling/peddling. Already have a 19ft welded custom skiff w 50 tiller, but that is overkill for those trips.

I always enjoy researching all the boating options, almost fun as fishing!

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Modified 5'x10' homemade utility trailer. Yak rack parts are mostly stuff I had in the garage - chain link fence top rail, gate corners, safety pins, and thick pipe insulation. I still need to wrap the insulation in outdoor fabric when I get the time. UV resistant heavy nylon zip ties hole the insulation in place, plus it has seam-seal adhesive in the slit.

Makes loading and hauling yaks SO much easier. Highway rated trailer tires on the trailer and I pull this down the road at 70 mph. The yaks are mostly out of the wind behind they would get from car topping behind the camper shell on the truck.

I can take the rack off in the time it takes to walk around the trailer and use the trailer for hauling stuff, which was part of the requirement to convert it to haul the yaks.

Before I got the Revolution this spring, I went down the road like this at times. Truck isn't easy to load yaks on, hence the trailer mod.