Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I am a newbie and am curious as to how rough of conditions I can get into with my revolution 13. I am in Ontario,Canada and would be on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As much as your skills will allow.

If I knew I was going to be in rough water, I'd much rather be in my Revo 13 than my PA or my Outback.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Right now my skills are weak lol I have been river running so far but want to hit bigger water. I was talking to a kayaker that says he paddled to Sault St Marie from Southampton. He was telling me he had 12' waves and would not recommend to do it in a sit on kayak.

Any ideas or videos that can show me otherwise? It is a trip I wouldnt mind trying when I am experienced enough

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, not recommended if it can be avoided, but I've ridden out some nasty thunderstorms out 3 miles on the Pacific Ocean. But it wasn't the wind and waves that worried me, darn lightning. Revolution 13 along with the Adventure can handle almost any non abnormal weather mother nature can throw at them. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have paddled all areas of georgian bay and have never seen a 12 foot wave thats a bit of a stretch!!!! but as Tom said the revo is better than the pa in waves of size.I have both and love the Revo conditions on the bay can change quickly so carry a weather radio and dont venture out farther than necessary lots of great shore scenery and wildlife....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went from a Cobra Maurader to the Revo 13. The Revo is a bit more tippy at first. I found that, the initial stability when encountering a wave could be better, but the secondary stability ( how it recovers) is quite good. Just stay centered and let it do what it was designed to do.
You could add the Sidekick Ama if you want better stability. I have one for tournament days when you have no choice but to go out on rough days. Be careful using the Ama if you are doing surf launches and landings. I find the outrigger bags get in the way of your paddle stroke. They could be therefore be dangerous in bigger surf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great to know I got a good yak for the area then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the smaller revo and I usually go out in 2-3ft conditions. 4ft ok, but generally when I hear 4-6ft conditions or "occasional waves" over the 6 ft mark, I stay home :lol: