Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Currently I'm torn between an Lowrance elite HDI-7 or going with a Smaller hummingbird model with Sidescan. I plan on using it to better approach tarpon, bull reds, black drum and snapper off the south texas coast. I will also be incorporating this with a bull shark research project that I'm assisting with. I'm looking for opinions on what would be a better for use on my 2014 PA. I'm also wondering if it's even worth purchasing a small unit with side scan since you probably can't even see the screen while I'm thinking down imaging on a 7 inch screen would be more effective. I noticed that Lowrance is also attempting to push the HDI-5 Gen2, but I really don't see the point of going gen 2 unless you are going with the structure scan which is way overkill for a yak. Opinions or suggest on any type of model would be appreciated. I plan on trying to make this purchase in the next month.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whatever unit you get get one that is properly waterproof.

I have a Lowrance Elite 4DSI unit and it has proved to be worse than useless because the waterproofing, despite the claims of compliance to various standards, was ineffective in combating the wave splash that I get in my local waters. When I realised that water was getting in to the unit I tried various things to waterproof it myself but I think that the damage was already done -either way it wasn't a solution.

As a result the unit packed up after 2-3 months and had to be returned to its country of birth for warranty (so much for globalisation) which was extremely time consuming and inconvenient - so much so that I bought an Eagle Cuda second hand as a replacement.

Please note that it wasn't just the unit itself that crapped out - I almost lost the map card that went in it too, because of the salt water ingress.

Anyone want to buy an unused Lowrance Elite 4 DSI with a NZ Navionics silver map card going cheap???!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are more complaints about Lowrance units leaking.......I have a Humminbird 768 Combo that is 2 1/2 years old and the bugger does not leak.
My original Humminbird LRC-400ID, that is a 1990 model, is still working in another kayak.....go fish!
I had a Lowrance LMS-240 in my old 18' Jetcraft, and it never would measure the water temp......even after factory servicing twice under warranty.....I finally gave up on it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm still sponging up advice too. At this point I'm wanting downscan alongside conventional sonar. Lowrance seems a step ahead of Humminbird with that but also seem to have a sketchy reputation. Garmin's coming out with their downscan competition the first of the year. I'll probably wait to learn more on that.