Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What do I need to know and what does the new owner need to know?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not sure how to answer you question, but the hobies I have bought used I did not get any transferr of warranty. All I have to do was get the hull number and let the dealer know the detail about what was wrong. If the numbers on the yak were still in warranty then the dealer would handle to transferr of the new hull to me. I had to take off the old hull what I wanted transferred to the new hull. One time the dealer even moved the anchor lines and pulleys to the new hull for me.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

yaknewbie wrote:
What do I need to know and what does the new owner need to know?
The warranty stays with the boat and is based on the manufactured date (coded in the serial #) or date first sold, whichever is later. No need to transfer it. It is good to have a bill of sale for your records and any info regarding where and when the boat was originally bought. If you have a problem, that dealer should assist with a claim for any corrections under the warranty. If you're the owner, you'll have no trouble getting warranty service -- you don't need to be the original owner or register any transfer. Look up the FAQ topic on the forum regarding serial # to learn how to read it.

Enjoy your new boat! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the process of selling it and just wanted to get the proper info to the new owner. As for dealer help....they never return my calls or emails. I have to personally drive to the dealer and hope the owners are there. Its been a joke since the sale was done. Great boat though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie dealers are supposed to give new owners an MSO, Manufacturers Statement or Certificate of Origin, but I'm hearing most don't. You can still get it but it's sent to the dealer and they have to sign it, then you get it. Only takes a week. On the back of that there is a form for further ownership transfer info. You can go a step further and send a copy of MSO to the state for a registration which is just like a vehicle registration and make transfers using that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:10 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Back to the original question -- no paperwork or "warranty transfer" is required for warranty service. Warranty requirements and procedures should be on Hobie's web site as well as in the Owner's Manual.

As I understand it, an MSO or MCO is usually required only if the boat is or has been exported -- Hobie will provide one upon request. Different states have different boat registration rules. California, for example, has none for kayaks under 16 feet including Outbacks. With a bill of sale you should be able to fulfill any registration requirement in the US as far as I know.

Lack of dealer service is unusual and should be reported to Hobie. Any dealer can provide warranty service, although apparently there is a small minority that don't like to do so for boats that weren't bought at their facility (unfortunate and short sighted IMO). 8)