Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multi week trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All, As an experienced cyclist I traveled the last ten years in Europe and the United States for multi week and -months trips. Now I'm planning a multi week trip in a Hobie Adventure Kayak in Europe...not sure about the route yet I'm eager for some inspiration, ideas and experience by others. Are there any forum mebers who did multi day -week trips in a Hobie Kayak (no sailing). Any Dutch, French, Mediterranean seashore experience, or kayaked on the mighty European rivers? I hope this post will help me and others to use a Hobie for long distance adventures...

Last edited by RichardC on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Multi week trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check out the Danube. It's pretty scenic, and there are good bike trails along long sections of the river. I've done a bike trip on those trails, but I don't know how easy it is to kayak the river. The Danube contains a number of dams with locks. I don't know how hard it would be to portage around the locks with or without a kayak cart, or to float through the locks with other river traffic. Because large numbers of people bike the trails, most hotels along the river have bike storage rooms. However, getting a sixteen foot long Adventure into some of those rooms would be an adventure.

I've done many multi-day unsupported wilderness whitewater river trips, including a lot in the 1-2 week range, but haven't done any multi-day urban kayak trips. It seems to me that since you may end up staying in lodging a couple of blocks from the river or shore, and on some rivers you'll need to portage around dams or locks, you'll probably want to bring a center-mounted kayak cart so you can move your loaded kayak and all your gear in one trip. Leaving part of your gear on the shore while you make multiple trips invites theft. You'll be able to carry about twice as much gear in your Adventure as most unsupported bicycle tourists carry on their bikes, but it'll be easier to get your loaded kayak on a cart and haul it up hills if you you restrict your gear to the amount you usually take on bike trips.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Or you could read 'The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow', which is about a trip from the centre of England to the eastern edge of Europe in a small dinghy. It will give you some ideas about the canals and rivers of Europe, and where to avoid.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Last summer, a friend of mine joined forces with another adventure buddy and traveled the Florida Keys on a Tandem Island. It's not Europe, but I hear it's an adventure worth experiencing.

Longbikermike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

West coast of Scotland? There is also stuff like the great glen canoe trail but its a bit tame in places and scenically inferior. Even the wee hobie sail would be an advantage here.