Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Curious to learn more about LED lights on kayaks. I see a lot of Pro Anglers with them nowadays, but I would be putting them on an Outback.
Why spend the money you may ask? Well, when I go offshore with my fishing buddies we usually launch pre-dawn and I would like to put some illumination on the kayak itself instead of relying on a flashlight and a headlamp for signaling oncoming boat traffic to steer clear.
I'm thinking of one strip on each side of the bow and maybe a courtesy light or two in the cockpit so I can see to rig up lines and lures.

Does anyone have any experience with this? please share tips, pics and/or thoughts. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So the logical thing to do would be to get a Supernova kit and call it a day:
http://kayakfishinggear.com/Supernova-BasicKayakLightingKit.aspx
$100 (as I am finding out the hard way) is actually a fair price for underwater/waterproof lights.

If anyone wants to piece together a kit, you can get inexpensive individual components on Amazon or West Marine, but they add up quickly.
Here are a few things I found out:
1. Make sure to buy IP68 rated lights (fully submersible) and not IP67 (submersible for short period of time). You know how rough your kayaking environment is, get something that is properly sealed against saltwater!
2. The marine grade switches can be expensive, remember you are not just wiring it up to the battery for full time operation.
3. Make your electrical connections water tight! electrical tape alone will not suffice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put LED lights on my PA 14 useing ip65 for all my connections. They stood the test when I flipped at night on the sea. lights remained on for the entire time my kayak was belly up approximately 35 min. They still work fine and probably saved my life. I putting lights throughout the kayak. I also plan on Transom lights

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My thoughts - if you are just concerned with boater visible safety - then a self-powered 360 degree light for the stern is most typical. Common options are the Railblaza visibility kit. I use that one on an Outback. I mounted the base starport had to the lid of the rear 8” hatch. Similar options are the yakattack visicarbon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wildcat lights come with a very strong adhesive backing and some fasteners to prevent the ends from peeling off in case of a blow to a limb or boat dock. The guy set the frequency of the lights to the same frequency as the fish bait when they feed. It works amazingly and you will have honest shrimp jumping on your yak. As I have already said, they are available in Austin Canoe and Kayak in San Marcos, but they are not in the online store. Directions are fairly easy to follow, and they can do the installation for you if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sweet. I've got the same style of LEDs though in green/red Nav LEDs. I'm having a tough time finding the white light without being part of a kit. I also like the cockpit light and may do the same with mine using the Yak Power switch setup. Kudos on a great upgrade! (My PA 14 gets delivered next month!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Many of the LED strip lights which kayakers install on their kayaks don't comply with the Coast Guard lighting regulations. Consequently, they can create confusion and may cause accidents. They are the equivalent of replacing the red tail lights on your car with green lights. If a kayak and a motor boat have an accident, the kayak and its occupant is likely to get damaged more than the motorboat.