Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I realize this topic has been discussed somewhat, but bear with me a moment, as I'm seeking the advice of the kayak sages on the board.

Despite my username, I've owned Mirage kayaks for a long time, working my way up from a Sport to eventually the AI, from freshwater lakes to open ocean. Recently opportunities to kayak on fast moving rivers has opened up. I realize whitewater kayaks are best for fast rivers, but I'm very tempted to try the new Sport on one. I am confident (maybe overconfident) in shallow water with Mirage drives, and OK with fast water as well. The river varies in depth from 1-5ft, and moves about 5mph, with river rock bottom, and tall rocks jutting out every now and then.

The river currently has drift boats and catarafts on it. The drift boats actually oar opposite the flow to maintain control and steer around rocks. OK, so after a long setup, here's my quandary:

1. I'm pretty sure you can't just drift. If you do, there will be no water flow across the hull or rudder. If you get sideways across a rock, it will quickly roll or go under. I assume this is similar to coming to shore in the ocean when no water is passing across hull and rudder and you get turned sideways. I have hit rocks sideways before and always got rolled under.

2. I'm also pretty sure I could be successful pedaling and paddling down stream, thus keeping water moving over hull for control. However, I am now moving at pedal speed plus water speed, too fast for fishing or even enjoying the view and taking pictures, though I'm sure it would be an exciting ride.

3. I could pedal upstream slower than the current, thus keeping water moving across hull and rudder and slowing my drift down the river. However, now I am faced the wrong way and cannot see where I'm going and will most likely hit a rock (even with a rearview mirror).

4. I could put the Mirage drive in backwards and point downstream. Now I have water going across hull and rudder, I've slowed my drift downstream, and am pointed the correct way to see. Unfortunately, though, now water is going across the hull in the wrong direction, and from my past experiences, this is not ideal, especially in the shorter models.

I would guess (only a guess) that a "backwards" Mirage kayak, with the pointy end of the kayak in the back, and the drive running backwards would be the ideal kayak for this situation, but that's never going to happen.

I'm open to ideas and discussions on this topic. Just curious what the experts on the board think.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have attempted what were probably similar conditions twice in an Outfitter tandem with two on board over a 10 mile run.

First time we trashed the fins and bent the fin rods badly on one Mirage drive pretty early in the trip before pulling them out and lashing them where they stayed for the remainder of the trip. Don't underestimate the added stress of a blade strike with the river pushing you forward. Honestly, the drives were not of much use as we were backpaddling with paddles most of the time anyway to steer since the rudder had insufficient flow to be of any use and was raised to prevent dragging on shallows. Then we bent and badly weakened the paddle blades on both paddles (the older metal two-piece ones) where the shafts end. Again, lots of extra stress caused by current and pushing off rocks to alter course. Finally we added lots of new scratches to the hull bottom. Was a fun, exciting, and expensive trip.

Second time we left the Mirage drives behind, kept the rudder up, and used heavy duty one piece kayak paddles. Trip was much more enjoyable though I still cringed at every new hull scratch.

That was the last time taking the Outfitter on this trip and the third time we just rented appropriate gear from a local shop at the river.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The timing of this question is perfect for me. Im in the process of researching a new kayak for myself. 95% open water with the occasional fast river.

I cant see a reason a Hobie Pro Angler 12 wouldnt perform well in a river if you pulled the mirage drive and rudder and just use a paddle like a regular kayak. After all it is the same length and only 2 inches wide then a Old Town Predator MX that is specifically designed to run such rivers.

Of course I have yet to test paddle one so I may be completely wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think one of the bigger problems at hand is that that hull was designed to be used with the rudder in the down position. Assuming you have to pull it to stay clear of rocks, the boat is going to try to come around on you the end of every paddle stroke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the situation cited, running down a river in near 5 mph current, the rudder is pretty much useless since there is little forward momentum relative to the water. But sweep turn strokes and back paddling are very effective in those conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Pro Angler tracks poorly with the original rudder. Think this would turn into a real cluster for you to attempt fast rivers.