Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. My wife and I just purchased a 2014 Oasis. After trying a demo model of the Outfitter and Oasis we knew the Oasis was a better fit for us. We are already racking up the miles and having a terrific time.

There is only one minor issue that has been bothering me. When I adjust my seat back, after a short period of time, the strap slips through the buckle. I find that I am adjusting the back strap every few minutes. Does anyone have recommendations on how to keep the strap from slipping?

Thanks,
Montauk17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Montauk17:
I just found your post and see nobody has replied yet.

The slipping strap problem is common on all Hobie kayaks (they all basically us the same seat). Some suggest before snapping the seat clip twist it a couple turns so the strap is twisted (that works a little). Other suggest once you have the seat adjusted where you like it, just take the loose end of the strap and tie it around the buckly (that kind of works).
I ended up taking a small piece of Para-cord and tying around the belt joints so even if it does start to slip it stops once the para-cord gets tight. So your adjustment range for the seat goes from about 6 inches down to about 2-3 inches (depending on how long the paracord is), this seems to work the best for me. That strap slipping is one of those things that sneaks up on you. You adjust it and everything is perfect, a half hour later your back is starting to hurt and you realize you are now almost laying down vs sitting vertical (it sneaks up on me).
When the seat is vertical it actually supports my bad back quite well and gives me good lumbar support, and I can go 10-12 hours, until the strap slips back, then I'm 30 minutes tops.
Another problem that you may not have noticed yet, is the cushion under my butt is too thin and hard, and begins to bother me after about thirty minutes ( I have bony butt itus ( LOL)).

Hobie sells the I-comfort inflatable seat that I understand works well, or you can do like I did and just get a mesh laundry bag, then cut a piece of 1 1/2 thick pool mattress to the same shape as the seat bottom then put the whole works into the mesh bag and cinch the bag shut.

We are scuba divers and I ended up using a Lobster catch bag (instead of a laundry bag) that I picked up at the local Divers Direct shop here in Key West, works perfect.

Once I got the slipping strap problem fixed (with the para-cord, and the twisted strap, and the knot on the buckle), and added a little extra padding to help keep my butt dry, and stopping my bony butt itus from cropping up, I am actually quite happy with the seats now (haven't had a lick of trouble in a couple years now).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding a lever lock (or camlock) buckle stops the seat slipping but allows easy seat back adjustments.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34440

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the responses. My wife and I went out for an 8 mile trip on Saturday. I twisted the strap and that seemed to help a little. Next I will try adding a camlock. Although I would have to cut the end of the strap. On my seats the strap end is folded and sewn. I guess I could cut and singe the end then feed it back trough the buckle which should lock it in place. It looks like the camlock works pretty also.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't cut the sewing, just pull the old clip off, slip the new clip over the long strap, followed by the original strap. Take note on how the old strap was fed thru, it will remain the same. Once you have the seat adjusted to your liking, instead of just letting the long piece of strap dangle, run the end thru your new cinch clamp and clamp it down. I'm going to do this (great idea).
Bob