Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Like others I didn't enjoy having my 2014 R-13 get a hull crack and I had to replace it with a 2018 R-13 with the dreaded vantage seat. Some folks like it , I don’t. It is unstable for me. Going up 1/2”-1” higher makes a difference.

I ended up taking the seat out. Putting a 2” memory foam pad and a standard kayak seat. Now it pedals like the old 2014. I am approximately 1” lower and it works. Outback owners could do the same thing.

The trials and errors on how I did it is all noted here in this thread. The Revo is a solid dependable platform it just needs the right seat. There isn’t one way!

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... ns/?page=3

Last edited by the riddler on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Going up 1/2”-1” higher makes a difference.

When in the low position the seat should be at what it was in the old style hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
Going up 1/2”-1” higher makes a difference.

When in the low position the seat should be at what it was in the old style hull.

It does not appear to be so. It all depends on paddlers weight. If the free board of the kayak didn't change and it is unstable compared to the 2014 and previous models the only logical explanation is the seat. If the Revo 13 becomes more stable when the new seat is taken out? It has to be the seat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My favorite boat of all time was my older revo 13, haven’t tried the new seats yet.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

The new hull was modified (deep seat well) to allow the seat position to retain the original CG... same height off the water.

Of course... if you sit down in the well... you will be even more stable. That is a given.

Most every kayak company went to frame supported mesh seats. The Hobie CT seat is a HUGE success in comfort for most users. VERY popular, but of course there are many opinions I am aware. Breathable mesh, supported above the hull / drier, adjustable recline, lumbar adjustment, height adjustment... can be used as a beach chair out of the boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The new hull was modified (deep seat well) to allow the seat position to retain the original CG... same height off the water.

Of course... if you sit down in the well... you will be even more stable. That is a given.

Most every kayak company went to frame supported mesh seats. The Hobie CT seat is a HUGE success in comfort for most users. VERY popular, but of course there are many opinions I am aware. Breathable mesh, supported above the hull / drier, adjustable recline, lumbar adjustment, height adjustment... can be used as a beach chair out of the boat.

Totally agree that the 2018 Revo 13 is more stable now with the Vantage Seat taken out than in. What ever changes happened from 2015 on, the 2018 Revo 13 was just not the same. I have seen 150lb anglers already order a replacement vantage seat mesh for their 2016 and 17. I weigh almost to the limit of that seat rating. I feel the older seat was perfect in the Revo. All Hobie had to do was add just a little Rocker to that platform....and not everyone is going to agree with what I write.

I understand manufacturers went with Lawn Chair Seats but not one of those Manufacturers had a great 28" platform with a drive that can easily withstand the salt water abuse. The 2014 Revo 13 and prior to models to the 2009 click and go will always be a classic with salty anglers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:

I agree with riddler 100%. The new seat, even in the lowest position, seems higher and less stable. Regardless of the height, what is worse, at least for me and my friends, is the rigid seat back. It is very prone to damage in surf launches and landings and also makes it more likely that you will be injured in those situations. If the seat is damaged, you are looking at $500 to replace it.

The sad thing is, hobie modified the hull so that it is very difficult to take out the new seat and switch to a regular seat. it would be great to have a choice, so that those who like the new seat can get it, but there are other options available. It just seems like Hobie, as well as other makers, are gearing their boats more and more to a particular market (calm inland waters) with no thought for folks who use the kayaks in other ways. And, rather than admit this, we just get more double talk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Last December, when it was time to finally replace my '04 Outback, I searched Craig's List until I could find an '09 -'14 Outback with the old wet butt seat.

I hope future designs are more accommodating for those of us who value a low center of gravity either for fishing or sailing in rougher conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I spoke with Hobie customer support, they told me that nobody dislikes the new seat, and mine were the first negative comments they had heard. Yet, I talk to people all the time that dislike the new seat. I really belive Hobie has no idea how much business they are losing on this. People who would buy a new kayak, but are scrounging for an older one instead because of the seat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:05 am 
Site Admin

But we are selling more boats than ever. Something like the top 3 and 7 out of the top 10 kayaks sold are Hobie, so we are on the right track.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
But we are selling more boats than ever. Something like the top 3 and 7 out of the top 10 kayaks sold are Hobie, so we are on the right track.

I'm not saying that you guys don't know your business, and I have two Vantage seat kayaks which are fine, but the Vantage seat is not perfect for all uses and designing the hull to take an old wet butt seat as an option does not seem to be an impossible task.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Could be a business for someone to make old style seat adapters I'd bet. We have not seen that as a viable option we could build and sell.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some of this has to do with body shape, top heavy overweight older folks, (like me) might find it challenging to stay upright in a revo 13, I do, but our son would standup in the thing all the time. That’s not Hobies fault.
I’m now handicapped with a bad back so it’s impossible for me to paddle anymore, so I don’t even look at any other brands at all, it’s only Hobie mirage for me, nothing else out there for me so why look.

However with any paddle yak 50% of your stability comes from your double ended paddle, ( that’s why surfski’s are only like 15” to 18” wide). Since you don’t need a paddle with Hobies, ( most don’t use them at all), Hobies must be more stable, ( ie.. wider), and require a lower CG than most other SOT kayaks in my opinion. The convience of the Mirage drive more than makes up for that. Just make sure you select the right Hobie to suit you body type and weight.
In other words if your 6’5” and a topheavy 270’ plus a revo 11 may not be the best selection, ( outback might be a better choice). It’s definately not one size fits all, and experience also plays a big factor. That’s why I love Hobies demo day event’s, you get to try everything out, and experts guide yo to the correct solution for you and your lifestyle, pickin stuff online from pictures usually doesn’t work out so well in my experience. Also watching extreme fishing videos of experts that have been doin that kind of stuff most of their lives, lol most of those guys are so fit and expert they could fish from a log and do well, ( definately not me by any stretch of imagination), walk before you run. If your the guy above, a $7000 dollar 25lb CF 21 ft d 15” wide surfski or OC1 might not be a good first boat, ( just sayin). I’m 5’6” 240lb, one of those boats is not in my cards.
Just my opinions that’s all
FE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:

Congratulations but what about us? Believe it or not there are quite a few of us who don't need to stand in a kayak. We don't want the Outback or Pro Angler for open water fishing. We want the old style 2014 Revo or at least give us an easy option to go back to the old seat. It's not fair at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
Some of this has to do with body shape, top heavy overweight older folks, (like me) might find it challenging to stay upright in a revo 13, I do, but our son would standup in the thing all the time. That’s not Hobies fault.
I’m now handicapped with a bad back so it’s impossible for me to paddle anymore, so I don’t even look at any other brands at all, it’s only Hobie mirage for me, nothing else out there for me so why look.

However with any paddle yak 50% of your stability comes from your double ended paddle, ( that’s why surfski’s are only like 15” to 18” wide). Since you don’t need a paddle with Hobies, ( most don’t use them at all), Hobies must be more stable, ( ie.. wider), and require a lower CG than most other SOT kayaks in my opinion. The convience of the Mirage drive more than makes up for that. Just make sure you select the right Hobie to suit you body type and weight.
In other words if your 6’5” and a topheavy 270’ plus a revo 11 may not be the best selection, ( outback might be a better choice). It’s definately not one size fits all, and experience also plays a big factor. That’s why I love Hobies demo day event’s, you get to try everything out, and experts guide yo to the correct solution for you and your lifestyle, pickin stuff online from pictures usually doesn’t work out so well in my experience. Also watching extreme fishing videos of experts that have been doin that kind of stuff most of their lives, lol most of those guys are so fit and expert they could fish from a log and do well, ( definately not me by any stretch of imagination), walk before you run. If your the guy above, a $7000 dollar 25lb CF 21 ft d 15” wide surfski or OC1 might not be a good first boat, ( just sayin). I’m 5’6” 240lb, one of those boats is not in my cards.
Just my opinions that’s all
FE

Not sure what your point is. I am 5'8" and 155 pounds. I have been paddling kayaks for years and most of my fishing SOTs are less than 26" wide. The Hobie I am using is appropriate, and I know how to paddle. The fact is, a kayak doesn't need to be wide to be stable. I don't need the paddle for stability IF the kayak is properly made. Hobies are not that stable to begin with. Add a higher seat and they are unstable, at least IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next