Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, I'm sorry you aren't happy with your Revo 13. I know Mike and Dawn at Select Sail (assuming that's who you went to) will make things right for you.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get the Outback. I know a few guys who started with an Outback and just couldn't make the adjustment to a narrower Hobie, ie. Adventure and Revo's. There's no written rules here, that's why there is choices. I'm sure the new 2015 Vantage seating and Glide Mirage Pedals will make it all a new experience even in the same model kayak. Enjoy!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Get the Outback. 4.5 inches wider = so much more stable and safe for you. and overall the weight difference is 4 more pounds. My TI when its stripped down is much more stable than the revo13, same with a Hobie Sport, and the Outfitter. I never expected to roll yours so easily, I would definetly trade back to the outback. Besides when your out taking pictures you want to focus on the photos, not the stability of your craft...

:mrgreen:

2016 Tandem Island on a Trailex Aluminum trailer being towed by a
Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have three Revos.

2014 Revo 13
2015 Revo 13
2015 Revo 16

As for stability I think the 2014 Revo13 and 2015 Revo13 are pretty much on par, until the 2015's seat is raised.
Once the Vantage CT's rear kickstand is set the stability of the kayak dramatically suffers. I don't think will ever set the seat higher in the rear.

As for the 2015 Revo16 compared to the Revo13. The Revo13 is definitely more stable. I noticed that the first time out with the Revo16. However is not an earthshattering problem to me. It seems to react more quickly to off center weigh transfer, but there is no indication to me of going over. That being said, I did take it out on a large lake with a brisk wind which had some decent waves and I was a little more nervous when parallel to them compared to the Revo13.

Now, I will tell you that when I received the Revo16 I figured that it would be less stable. I definitely looked narrower. I haven't actually measured it but it looks almost 2" narrower to me.

With all that being said, I love the 2015 models with the Vantage CT seat and the nylon roller bearing drive. They are worth every extra penny.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the better question is... what will you miss on the revo13 if you do go back to the outback? It's obvious that you're missing certain aspects of the outback. (I've got the 2015 and I just love the stability.) Sure it's not as nimble, but is that really what sold you on the revo? Will you second guess yourself more by keeping the revo or do you think you'll be fantasizing about the revo if you switch back to the outback?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Recently Three members of our Kayak Club "The Plywood Pirates", bought new 2015 Revo-13's.
https://www.facebook.com/PlywoodPirates
They all stepped in and Sailed about immediately with no problems, the reason?
All these guys have been building and paddling sleek, tippy wooden kayaks for years so they have developed their balance and feel to a high degree.
When I bought my first 9-foot white-water Yak I wobbled all over the place for an hour but now I am carving in it.

So don't worry, after a while you will be quite at home in your new boat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

When you try a pair of new shoes and they don't quite fit, are you going to buy them and hope they "break in" or look for a different shoe that feels right in the beginning? As users, we come in all different sizes, shapes ages and abilities -- what works for one does not necessarily work for all. It's important to have a boat that you feel comfortable using or you won't use it.

I personally think the Revo 13 is a perfectly stable platform but I've watched several folks select the Outback after comparing the two side by side because they feel more secure about the Outback's higher initial stability. I say whichever model feels best to you is the best fit! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the 2014 Revo 13 and feel a bit unstable in waves and when I turn sharply (with the big rudder it really tips), but my 5'4" tubby size gives me a low centre of gravity that helps me cope. Never thought obesity would be an advantage in any way, but hey.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

barrgr54 wrote:
I have the 2014 Revo 13 and feel a bit unstable in waves and when I turn sharply (with the big rudder it really tips), but my 5'4" tubby size gives me a low centre of gravity that helps me cope. Never thought obesity would be an advantage in any way, but hey.... :lol:

Lol, in the Recumbent bike world an expanded midriff is called an "Aerobelly", rather than presenting a flat/high-drag stomach to the airflow the "Aerobelly" low-drag form glides through the slipstream! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thomas wrote:
I have had Outbacks for 7 years now. It's an extremely stable boat, even in poor water conditions. Last year I demo'd a Revolution 13 and liked that it was faster and easier to paddle (Outback is a little too wide for serious paddling, and I don't fish). And even if it seemed slightly less stable, the demo I took on lake waters felt comfortable enough as I put it through the paces. I decided to wait for the 2015 upgrades.

Well, I just picked-up my new 2015 Revolution 13 the other day and, due to lingering cold water temps and winds here in Nebraska, decided to test the new boat in a large local indoor pool just for fun.

Before the first float I replaced the standard rudder with a sail rudder. I also set the new seat to its lowest back position and highest front position. I then invited my Hobie owner friend to take the first sail. He gets 5 feet and rolls over. He gets in it again, comments that it seems squirrily, and again rolls over.

I get in it. I agree. I don't go over, but nearly every turn feels tippy. I adjust the seat so that both back and front are in their lowest positions. Yak feels better, but not by much. I notice the rudder turns left much sharper than right, so maybe this is an adjustment problem. I also notice that the boat will sometimes stay flat in a hard turn, and sometimes lean into the turn a bit. That's okay to some degree, but bring the rudder back to straight and this boat suddenly leans opposite the turn — enough to nearly dump a person. The hull looks great visually. No deformations can be seen.

My friend is tall but lean. I'm tall and 270 pounds. We are both experienced Hobie kayakers. It feels as if the center of gravity is way too high, despite the lower seat position. What the heck is going on here?

I'm switching out the sail rudder back to the standard rudder and will do another float this next week. The rudder seemed to lock down in place properly, at least from the cockpit view, but I intend to have another set of eyes on the rudder's lockdown position next time to be sure it's in its proper place.

Unfortunately, as it stands now, I have no confidence in this boat in pool water, let alone in waves and wind.

1. Does anyone else here (perhaps a tall person) think the 2015 Revolution 13 is unstable?

2. Does anyone have a sail rudder on their 2015 Rev 13, and are they happy with it?

That's incredible change. If you feel that way so will I. Not many people are coming out and speaking like that. They commonly say it's no big deal. Just a slight change in stability from 14-15 with the vantage seat. From side by side comparisons it looks like the Revo has been changed not slightly, but quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"Aerobelly"!!! At last!! I knew there was a reason that I cultivated a round front. Its aerodynamically sound,------Yeah----that's why. :lol: :lol: Sorry for the Hijack.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have never kayaked but am considering one for light touring (not fishing). 6'0, 215.

I like the idea and the reviews of the Mirage drive kayaks, specifically the Revo 13 for its speed and maneuverability.

However, like the originally poster, I am concerned about stability because of OP's account and also a few YouTube videos showing the Revo going over in the blink of an eye. Yikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVhX6CuzUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StbVov-nn0

Based on what I have read, I am thinking that I don't want an Outback....I don't need or want to stand in it or fish, I want something sleeker, faster, more maneuverable, but that's not going to roll by blinking. I don't want to go in the water without doing something really stupid.

I don't want to give up the Mirage drive but if I have to to have a stable, fast kayak, I reluctantly will.

So, assuming that the seat is in the lowest position, how stable is Revo 13/11 vs Pungo 120?

And if the Revo is stable, should I go with 13 or 11? How about for my wife who is 5'6, medium build?

Last edited by NorthMI on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NorthMI wrote:
I have never kayaked but am considering one for light touring (not fishing). 6'0, 215.

I like the idea and the reviews of the Mirage drive and specifically the Revo 13 for its speed but like the originally poster, I am concerned about stability because of OP's account and a few YouTube videos showing the Revo going over in the blink of an eye.

Based on what I have read, I don't want an Outback....want something faster but not unstable.

I don't want to give up the Mirage drive but if I have to to have a stable, fast kayak, I reluctantly will.

So, assuming that the seat is in the lowest position, how stable is Revo 13/11 vs Pungo 120?

And if the Revo is stable, should I go with 13 or 11? How about for my wife who is 5'6, medium build?

Well, there's no free lunch. Stability often comes with a speed penalty, a maneuverability penalty or a weight penalty or some combination.

The Outback is not super heavy, is reasonably maneuverable, but not very fast ... you're looking at topping out at about 5.9 MPH.

Even though I've been sailing mirage drive kayaks since the early 2000s, I prefer the Outback because I can go out confidently in rough conditions and if the mood strikes (which it often does at my age), I can furl the sail and take a nap.

I think the Revos are awesome boats, but I would definitely rent one for a day to make sure you and your wife can get comfortable with it. As for your wife, I know that if mine ever went over, I'd never get her back out on the water. That's why we got the Outfitter. I can take her out in that boat and make sure that she ends the day high and dry in her large floppy hat (and an empty thermos of sangria). We got the Sport because it was a demo and a great deal and my small mother in law can launch it by herself.

In the end, Hobie has a kayak for almost every occasion, but you need to test them to see which one is right for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Pollo. Good point....I can't have it both ways. :-)

It's not that I am a speed demon and 5.9 mph sounds way fast, just don't want to have a lot of extra girth/weight if I don't need it to stay out of the water and you are also right that it's personal and subjective so I need to try them.

Does anyone have any experience on how the Revo's stability compares to say a Pungo 120 and aside from the Mirage drive, what the other considerations might be between the two?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OP Thomas.....what did you end up doing and how do you feel about it today?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next