Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello folks, I am new to this forum but have been enjoying my Revolution 11 for the past couple of years. I recently sold the old kayak and will be purchasing a brand new one - and herein lies my dilemma: I am trying to decide between another Revo 11 or perhaps an Outfitter (two-seater). I would welcome your advice on which would be better for me based on the following criteria:

(1) I was very happy with the Revo 11 but would love to be able to bring a member of my family out on the water from time to time - even though my first priority will still be to kayak alone 75% of the time. Put simply, I don't want to feel that I've take a step backward when kayaking alone, even though I would love to be able to bring someone else along from time to time.

(2) The area where i put in (a seawall) is challenging, so it was/is helpful to be able to maneuver the lightweight and stubby Revo 11 on my own. Same goes for getting out of the water.

(3) I use the kayak in the bay and generally stay home/skip the outing if the conditions are anything beyond a light chop, so the ride in rough seas is less important to me. I am also more recreational/am not a fisherman (yet).

So I guess my questions boil down to whether I will regret investing in a two-seater? Or will I enjoy added stability? How will my speed and efficiency suffer or improve? How much more difficult will it be to maneuver? Which kayak would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

1. the Hobie tandems (Outfitter and Oasis) are considerably heavier and bulkier for one person to handle than the Revo 11. If the seawall is a challenge, that could be a big red flag for the tandems.

2. Why did you pick the Outfitter instead of the Oasis? 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there Roadrunner, thanks so much for the reply! The only reason why I was eyeing the Outfitter was/is because it is shorter than the Oasis by a couple of feet (so presumably easier to maneuver and more similar to my Revo 11), and seemed to be advertised as working well for 1 as well as 2 people. My logic was/is "either stick with the Revo 11 or go with the smallest tandem" - does that make sense? Though it sounds like you'd be concerned about maneuvering either tandem no matter what. If I were past that issue, what about functionality in the water/when alone? Thank you again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:16 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Disregarding launching and loading issues, both tandems work well as a solo craft when properly ballasted. Both handle quite differently than the Revo 11 because of their additional weight and size. In terms of performance, the Oasis is the better solo boat. It cruises faster, quieter, smoother, requires less ballast, and ironically is truly the "big sister" boat to the Revo 11. Take a look at the bow and stern side-by-side comparison below and see if you can tell which is which. The Outfitter isn't even close (neither is the Revo 13, frankly).

Image Image

The Outfitter would be worthy of consideration if fishing rather than cruising is a priority or if space is at a premium. Otherwise, the Oasis would be the overwhelming choice IMO. Here's why:

Hobie makes 15 Mirage Drive boats, 5 of which are tandems. Each model excels at certain things (weight, storage, seaworthiness, speed/range, smooth ride, etc. etc). But if you look at the "best of show", the most versatile, the Oasis is it. It has no weaknesses, can transport a refrigerator, has outstanding stability, good speed, great seaworthiness, is a solid fishing platform, loads reasonably well overhead by one person and is excellent as an all around tandem and solo performer. I have hundreds of hours solo time in this boat and solo is my favorite configuration. I feel confident launching it in any water (that I would launch in ) without restriction.

Sitting in the back seat (solo) with about 55# ballast in the nose, the sensation is like operating a locomotive -- powerful, resolute and sure footed. Operating from the front seat (current models all have dual controls) and about 25# of stern ballast, the boat feels like an F-4 Phantom cockpit -- nimble yet with a lot of authority -- I thoroughly enjoy it! (By comparison, the Revo 11 feels more like a little sports car).

The Outfitter, being shorter, requires more ballast, pounds in chop , is slower, noisier and less pleasurable to operate and is wetter in adverse conditions (which you might get caught in).

If you get an opportunity to demo both boats you'll feel the difference instantly. (bring your ballast). Actually the Oasis handles fairly well without ballast from the front seat in smooth water (haven't tried the Outfitter from the front seat).

Make sure you can handle the seawall problem before you settle on a tandem though! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner, I could not have asked for a more thorough answer. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have only two years of experience with mirage drive kayaks, but those years have been on an Oasis. Bottom line, I love this boat. From flat glassy lake water to fast moving Colorado River (water being released from Hoover Dam) to open water (Oceanside, CA) with large swells from a hurricane off Baja, she handles it all.

When looking to buy a kayak, my wife and I choose the Oasis over two Revo 13s. My wife doesn't go out as much as I like to go and apologized for not getting the two Revos. I told her no apology is necessary. I love this boat.

The Oasis has unlimited versatility. I've even used her as an adventure kayak (crew of 2 with our equipment for 3 days).

Definitely no buyer remorse here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk