Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sidekick AMA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally took out my new Hobie with my 12 year old son this past weekend..

We went fishing the flats out in Titusville FL..

Had an incident where I dropped the Mirage Drive and jumped out of the kayak to catch it and I ended up flipping :O damn it sucked!!! So I wanted to know if you would advise getting the Hobie Kayak Sidekick AMA Kit?

Thanks!!!

Post subject: Re: Sidekick AMA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I never found the need for sidekicks, but then again I won't take it out in conditions I feel my passenger would be unsafe in. Those trips I use my Adventure, solo!

I leash everything, motto, "leash it or loses it!" I've had rods pulled out of rod holders by strong hits, ram balls break off, paddles dislodged, thankfully they were leashed & gear never lost!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

that need/desire is up to you...you will get better in time in the yak and make less mistakes. If you are unable to get back in the yak is the more important question. If you cant, then they are waayyy more of a need than desire.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My opinion is, any kayak can get flipped at any time, for your own and your passengers safety (on tandems) it's probably a good idea to practice capsize and recovery at least once, so you are certain what to do, and are comfortable getting back into the kayak. My wife and I are both older, and both a little overweight. We practiced in our heated pool for many hours ( I'm sure it was great entertainment for our neighbors (lol)). I have to admit re-entry onto our Oasis kayak was much more difficult than we ever anticipated (especially when solo). Actually we found re-entry easiest with two people was for each of us to enter the boat at the same time, one from each side. Once we both had our bodies on the boat (straddling the boat sideways with our feet hanging out), we would at the same time carefully rotate back into the boat and sit up (it's harder than you think especially if you are older and not as fit).

It's probably a pretty good idea to have leashes on your mirage drives, those suckers are darned expensive, and it would really suck if you dropped on in deep water.
Another thing we found out the hard way, is once you go overboard, if you are not leashed to the kayak, that sucker can get away from you very quickly, in any wind an empty kayak will drift away from you faster than you can swim (just FYI).
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I feel safer with them on. Unexpected swell coming back in almost spilled me but the armas kept me dry. Who cares what others say, I like my life.
Having said that, it does get in the way of paddling if you put them according to Hobie's recommendation.