Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my first Hobie (Revolution 11, 2015) and just took my first spin!

As a woman age 60, I don't relish getting it in and out of the water for each use.

We are on a fresh water lake in Canada, with a dock. Can I keep it securely tied to the dock instead of hauling it in and out for each use?

How important is it to take the seat and drive out? What about the paddle?

If we do haul it onto the dock, is it okay to just leave it there upside down in the sun?

At the end of the season, we would store it in a protected place under the house -- but will it make it okay through the frozen winter? Or should it be brought inside the house?

Thanks for any tips,
Amy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We live on a bay off of Lake Ontario and have a similar situation...no way could we leave our new Revo 16 tied up to a dock because of some pretty serious wave action at our location. We ended up buying a used jet ski hoist and placing it beside the dock, it works great. Makes it easy to get in and out because you can step onto the hoist framework after you lower the boat and swing in to the seat. Have to pull the drive when you dock so you don't damage the fins, but we leave the paddle on the boat.

The one thing I do worry about is that the Revo is in the sun all day and I worry about sun damage, so I'm curious about what others may have to say about this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

JUST saw this post..... 303 Protectant. However, as a former sailmaker, get a cover made out of Sunbrella for it. Any custom canvas shop ought to be able to make one. If none are nearby give some dimensions and have one mailed to you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same issue when using my Outback at a lake cottage. I have a floating dock, so I ordered two Suspenz Expansion posts and mounted/bolted them directly to the side of the dock, then I bolted two of their Big EZ Rack arms to the post, about 6-8 inches above the waterline. http://www.suspenzkayakstorage.com/racks_pricing I use a couple of tie down handle straps attached together on one of the Outback's handles to easily turn and lift the Outback on its side while I slide it on and off the rack, directly into or out of the water. Then I purchased a Danuu Kayak Cover and attach it over the kayak. http://www.austinkayak.com/products/673 ... 25-ft.html It's very fitted, so goes on easily, stays on and has held up great. 303 Protectant it good, but using a cover with it is best. Anyway, this system has worked great for me for the last 8 months or so, and isn't that expensive. It minimizes my time on and back off the water, which encourages more usage versus if I had to remove the boat each time. I left my kayak on the rack over the winter (because I actually kayak during the winter too,) and didn't see any ill effects, so would think if you cover it when you store it, it should be fine, but I would defer to Hobie on that question. Good luck, and happy kayaking! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Smith wrote:
We live on a bay off of Lake Ontario and have a similar situation...no way could we leave our new Revo 16 tied up to a dock because of some pretty serious wave action at our location. We ended up buying a used jet ski hoist and placing it beside the dock, it works great. Makes it easy to get in and out because you can step onto the hoist framework after you lower the boat and swing in to the seat. Have to pull the drive when you dock so you don't damage the fins, but we leave the paddle on the boat.

The one thing I do worry about is that the Revo is in the sun all day and I worry about sun damage, so I'm curious about what others may have to say about this.

Yes, you definitely need a cover! Hobie makes one I'm sure, and so does Danuu http://www.austinkayak.com/products/673 ... 15-18.html They are easy on and off and fitted with straps and drawstring, so they stay on well and seem durable too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sunlight deteriorates the plastic in kayaks. Store your kayak inside, or cover it well if you store it outside.

I don't pamper my kayaks. They are fishing tools, not pieces of fine furniture. But I cannot imagine storing one of my kayaks in the water tied to a dock, particularly with the drive and seat in place. Don't do it!

Carrying a kayak around by yourself is awkward and bad for your back. Get a kayak or canoe cart. It's easy to lift a kayak onto a cart, and it takes very little effort to move a kayak on a cart on relatively smooth surfaces which aren't too steep. I'm older than Amy Lansky, and here are a couple pictures of me using a cart to move a kayak heavily loaded with spearfishing gear down a trail to a lake.