Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Squeaking Mirage Drive
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I broke the idler cord on my mirage drive. A few trips after replacing it I started to get a loud squeaking noise from mirage drive and a few hours later had the cord to my chain break on one side. After replacing the chain cord, the squeaking is still happening. I can't tell exactly where the squeaking is coming from. My questions are, does anyone know what is causing the squeaking? Could the drum be going bad? Is something broken that is causing my cables to break? The mirage drive does have a lot of hours on it. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine was squeaking too. I found out by flipping the pedals over the squeak went away. Looks easy enough to take apart and grease. Haven't done it yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Suggest viewing the three Mirage Drive maintenance posts starting with this one viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12577 follow on links are at the end of the first two.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice guys. I read the mirage matience article and still don't know what the problem is. It is a very loud squeaking and seems to be coming from somewhere around the drum. . I would really just like to know if I need to replace something. If something is going out and causing the cords to break, every third trip, it's going to get expensive. This is a v2 drive, by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a Mirage drive that used to squeak even though I used WD40 on it after fresh water washing, (my friends had even commented on the squeak and thought it might be my 'old' joints). I have since switched to using Inox, I use Inox mx5 plus (but I believe the Inox mx3 works just fine) and I NO LONGER HAVE A SQUEAKY DRIVE. I switched for a couple of reasons: 1. Inox is Australian, I believe (Go Aussie) 2. I have read reports that WD40 is not a good lubricant when running in water which the Mirage drive does, and Inox doesn't wash off. I give my drive the usual fresh water wash as it has 100% salt or brackish water use, after which I spray the drum pivots making sure it is between the drum & shaft, chains, cables & sprockets etc, put it in a bag and put her away until next time.

Have a look at www.inox-mx3.com see what you think but it has certainly worked for me.

The drives are (I find) easy to pull apart & service (with some good helpful stuff on you tube and on this forum) and I have been surprised at the wear between the drum and shaft and even on the sprocket shaft, so it might be a good idea to chech yours

zarbs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you tried adjusting the tensions of the cables? I was having annoying squeaking problems and kept tweaking the cables until it finally went away completely. I actually found I needed to take a wrench out in the water and adjust it, test it, adjust it again, etc. over and over until it finally would not come back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jgj5533... "I broke the idler cord on my mirage drive. A few trips after replacing it I started to get a loud squeaking noise from mirage drive and a few hours later had the cord to my chain break on one side. After replacing the chain cord, the squeaking is still happening. I can't tell exactly where the squeaking is coming from. My questions are, does anyone know what is causing the squeaking? Could the drum be going bad? Is something broken that is causing my cables to break? The mirage drive does have a lot of hours on it." Thanks for the help.

After rereading your first post above, the "cord breaking" is actually the stainless steel stranded cable breaking.
Since you said the Mirage Drive has a lot of hours on it, the cables will eventually fail where they are crimped to the chain attachment.
So, I think the second cable breaking is only coincidental and the other cable will most likely fail in the future too.

I agree with Daft's suggestion of upgrading your V2 drive to the GT drive AND replace any old/original chain assembly.

When adjusting the cable/chain tension, you need to hold/prevent the crimped end from turning while the 1/4 x 20 Nylock nut is tightened "so the stranded cable twisting" stays as it was from the factory......you should also use new Nylock nuts as the nylon insert is cut by the threads of the chain assembly.

Your owners manual and the lubrication article/posting shows how to set/check the cable tension.
Good luck!