Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: water in the hull
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

New here so bear with me. Was out for the first time on my Mirage Outback sailing. Between the wind and small waves, I flipped it. Everything was ok, I righted it and made it in safely, losing only my sunglasses and little pride. My question is, when I got back to the beach, there was a significant amount of water in the hull. Would this be normal for rolling it or should I start looking for leaks? It was upside down for about 10 minutes before I could get it back over. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: water in the hull
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:17 am 
Site Admin

I would look for leaks. New or new to you?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

brand spankin new.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:45 am 
Site Admin

In my quick answer this morning... I was not considering the large forward hatch and the length of time inverted. The forward hatch, when inverted for a long period...

Quote:
It was upside down for about 10 minutes before I could get it back over.

...could allow an amount of water into the hull. You can try an air pressure test as outlined in FAQs to be sure.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12575

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, the hatch cover was my first guess as to the problem. Since the kayak is in my carport can't I just put water in the hull and check for leaks. Not full enough to put a great amount of stress on it but since I don't have any electronics or wiring, would that be a problem? It sure would be a positive check.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:10 am 
Site Admin

The air and soapy water test is the preferred method.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All Righty Then. Soap test is easy/peasy. 15 min set up, with a piece of cardboard cut to size and taped to the forward screw hatch. Inserted the hose from the small shop vac, and turned it on. Filled a small spray bottle with a soap solution and sprayed all the fittings and anything that even looked like a scratch. Large hatch in front was the definitly the culprit. Air was blowing out around about 50% of the seal. Otherwise, the only other thing was the covers for the electronic wiring access. Just needed to tighten them down. I read about a fix for the front hatch, so I will be doing that, even though it probably wouldn't leak unless under water. Wow, do I feel better, even though is makes it apparent that it was ALL my fault for flipping it. All part of the learning curve I guess. No harm-- No foul. Thanks for the help. :D :D :D
MikeyM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:45 pm 
MikeyM wrote:
All Righty Then. Soap test is easy/peasy. 15 min set up, with a piece of cardboard cut to size and taped to the forward screw hatch. Inserted the hose from the small shop vac, and turned it on. Filled a small spray bottle with a soap solution and sprayed all the fittings and anything that even looked like a scratch. Large hatch in front was the definitly the culprit. Air was blowing out around about 50% of the seal. Otherwise, the only other thing was the covers for the electronic wiring access. Just needed to tighten them down. I read about a fix for the front hatch, so I will be doing that, even though it probably wouldn't leak unless under water. Wow, do I feel better, even though is makes it apparent that it was ALL my fault for flipping it. All part of the learning curve I guess. No harm-- No foul. Thanks for the help. :D :D :D
MikeyM

Thank you for your update information. Yeah, soap test is easiest way to check.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=55102

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the brightside now you can check the checkbox saying you know how to do a wet re-entry and have practiced. My opinion this is something all of us should know how to do, and needs to be practiced. When my wife and I first started kayaking we both practiced flipping over and re-entry in our heated pool, we both failed, it's much harder than it looks if your a little overweight. We both practiced till we could do it easily. A couple yrs later out in open ocean we needed that experience, bottom line you just never know whats going to happen out there. Now your prepared...
FE