Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my 2016 Outback to the lake for it's maiden voyage and to test it out. I noticed that it tends to lean to the right. I though it might be the foam placement on the inside or possibly the crossbar where the seat connects might be offset a little. After checking, there's a foam strip inside the hull on the right side but it's loose and slides back and forth. I checked the cross bar and it seems pretty level. So, any ideas? Would a simple fix be to add more foam on the right side (like pool noodles or something like that)?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

The boat may tip when you are not in it due to asymmetrical hardware, uneven plastic flow or slight differences in hull shape... but... your seating position will have far more to do with a balanced boat than anything. You can tip to either side just by sliding laterally in the seat fractions of an inch.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Something as simple as having a little more tackle on one side than the other, or maybe keeping a paddle on one side, is all it takes to throw off the boat trim. It really doesn't take much at all. A single pound, or less, will do it. Like Matt said, just compensate by moving your body a tiny bit. If the lean is harsh, try moving some of your gear around until you find good trim.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the responses. I found that I had to lean left in order to even out the trim. I still wonder about the foam inside the hull. I noticed that a long strip on the right side was loose and resting near the stern compartment. Back at home, when I raised the stern, I saw that the foam strip slid down toward the bow. Where is the proper placement for that long foam strip? Should I tack it in place with silicone? I appreciate any advise.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Foam is typically loose. It is primarily for flotation if you were to flood the hull. The weight of the foam should not cause an issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Foam is typically loose. It is primarily for flotation if you were to flood the hull. The weight of the foam should not cause an issue.

VTVSD, to add to what Matt said; adding more foam to the right side of the boat won't make the right side more floaty and level it out. It would make the right side heavier, and further out of trim. You should see how an empty kayak lists with a downrigger and 6-lb cannon ball stuck on the side. Just get in and get moving and you'll find where you need to sit to level it out.

Last edited by Low_Sky on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And to chime in on Low_Skys comment on down rigger fishing, you will need to install the sailing rudder to make the Outback "track on course"....otherwise it "crab's" to the side the weight is deployed. You can help minimize poor tracking by deploying the weight as close to the hull as you can.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i too found a single piece of 18" foam block which can slide front to back on the right side. not sure if there's suppose to be one on the left side as well. i ended up pulling it out from the front.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I asked my dealer if I was supposed to have a 2nd "loose foam block" in my 2016 outback shortly after purchase - apparently just the one "loose block" is normal. I relocated my loose foam block into the boot area where it jams in the hull a little and doesnt move about (possibly adding a little structural rigidity to the boot area as well but its only jammed on one end so wouldnt be much)

Dont remove the foam blocks and leave them at home though - if your hull fills up with water your gunna want them inside and probably be wishing there was more of them.