Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, with the depth of experience on here- I'd be interested in thoughts on the best model for my planned usage: short trips (<10mi) around an alpine lake; fishing a bit. Water is cool most of the year, and can get windy in the pm.

Do any of the models handle better in windy, choppy conditions- or take on less water? I'm 5'10', 190lbs.

Sport, Outback, Angler or Revo 11/13?

Thanks & happy paddling

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Revo line from 11-16 (formerly Adventure) has the lowest waterlines and profiles than the taller Sport, Outback, and Pro Anglers so you might consider the Revo line for windy conditions.

I'm 5'8" 170 lbs. and the 11 & 13 fit me well.

good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Second the Revo suggestion...use my 2015 Revo 16 here in upstate NY where the water is cool for a large portion of the year. Use it for fishing, especially along the edges of the small bay where we live, plugging or fly fishing for bass. Punches through the wind with ease.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The best Hobie kayak to use on a windy lake with cool water is one in which you are wearing a dry suit. When kayaking in cold water, wearing a dry suit is almost as important as wearing a PFD.

Are you willing to haul a trailer behind your vehicle? If you aren't, cross the Pro Anglers off your list, as they are difficult to get on top of a vehicle.

How much kayaking experience do you have? If you have little or no kayaking experience, you might feel more comfortable in an Outback, which is wider and more stable than a Revolution.

A ten mile day is a pretty good trip. If you really intend to take day trips which are that long, consider the 16' Revolution, which is faster than the other kayaks you mentioned.

But in general, any of the kayaks you mentioned will handle a little wind and a little chop with no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depends exactly what the issue is:

Wind-blown chop & spray can get into the seat area which can be uncomfortable/cold (depending on water temperature) if you are not appropriately dressed. This is more of an issue in the boats with a low freeboard (i.e. the Revo 11-16) or with a heavier paddler - also with the older kayak seats as opposed to the newer mesh style seats which (apparently) keep your backside above any water that may accumulate in the seat area. The Outback is wider, has more freeboard and has wider gunwales so spray has a harder time finding its way into the cockpit. I don't have much experience of the Pro Anglers but I do know (cos I have been in one) that you sit even higher in these boats which may be what you are looking to achieve.

If your issue is a desire to avoid being blown off course by the wind then a boat with lower freeboard will have less windage so the order of preference would be reversed (best=Revo11/13/16, middle=Outback, worst=ProAngler).

As to your ability to make progress being affected by the wind - pretty much any mirage drive kayak will allow you to make good progress in headwinds - they are much more capable than paddle kayaks in this regard to the extent that you hardly notice a headwind that would have a paddle kayaker labouring and cursing.

Just in case you are tempted by the idea of using those strong cold winds to sail a couple of comments about the sailing abilities of the Hobie kayaks and trimarans:
Kayaks: the kayak sail is small and can only be used in relatively light winds - in strong winds you risk a capsize and/or the mast bend caused by increased pressure in the sail reduces the sail's performance. Many people use outriggers (e.g. Hobie Sidekicks) to reduce the tendency to capsize. The best sailing kayak by a country mile is the Revo16/Adventure due to its dagger board which dramatically improves upwind sailing performance (also adds a bit of stability). They sail like small yachts and in the right conditions (wind strength and direction) can take a lot of sting out of a long pedal though the sailing, especially if tacking, can be slow!
Trimarans (i.e. AI & TI) these are fast, exceptionally stable and very wet when moving quickly (lots of spray over your head & body) - personally I wouldn't like to do this in cold water - it's bad enough when the water is warm!. They are much more of a 'proposition' than the simple sailing kayaks as there's a lot more boat, mast & sail to transport, set up and pedal (when the wind goes away) but you can cover vast distances quickly & safely if the winds are right.

Hope this helps.