Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

States that require kayak registration:

Does anyone have any informaitn to update the following?

Apparently only seven (7) states now require registration of non-motorized boats: Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa and Connecticut. Arizona repealed the requirement in 2000, and Alaska in 2004.

(Source: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2008/j ... ks-canoes/)

This goes along with the informatin presented below.

Sailboat, Canoe And Kayak Registration By State

Post By: admin on 9/21/2010 12:02pm

Replies: 11, Views: 39580

I'm getting ready for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Non-Motorized Boat Technical Advisory Group (FWC NMBTAG) meeting in Orlando tomorrow. One of the topics is FUNDING SOURCES, which to some implies registration.

So I did a little research to see which states have registration of non-motorized boats. I make no guarantees the information below is correct since I didn't verify that each web page found was up-to-date with state regulations. If you see an entry that is wrong, please post a reply.

Alabama – Requires registration of sailboats and boats for hire (rental).

Alaska – No

Arizona – No

Arkansas – Sailboats

California – Sailboats

Colorado – Sailboats

Connecticut – No

Delaware – No

Florida - No

Georgia – No

Hawaii - No

Idaho – No

Illinois – Yes, except a canoe or kayak which is owned by an organization which is organized and conducted on a not-for-profit basis or boats used exclusively for racing in sanctioned events. $13, 3 years.

Indiana – No

Iowa – Yes, canoes and kayaks over 13 feet. $10 to 15 feet, $12 to 18 feet. 3 years.

Kansas – No

Kentucky – No

Louisiana – No

Maine – No

Maryland – No

Massachusetts – No

Michigan - Vessels 16 feet long or less that are powered by oars or paddles and are not used for commercial or rental purposes. $5, good for 3 years.

Minnesota - Canoes, kayaks, sailboats, sailboards, rowing shells (not rowboats) and paddleboats up to and including 19 feet (over 19 feet same as pleasure craft), $10.50 registration fee + $5 aquatic species surcharge + $ issuance fee. Good for 3 years.

Mississippi – No

Missouri – No

Montana – Sailboats 12 feet and over

Nebraska - No

Nevada - No

New Hampshire – Sailboats 12 feet or longer

New Jersey - No

New Mexico - Sailboats

New York - No

North Carolina – Sailboats longer than 14 feet

North Dakota - No

Ohio - Registrations are required for every recreational boat in Ohio, including canoes, kayaks, pedal boats, and inflated boats. Valid for 3 years. $20. Canoes and kayaks do not need to be titled.

Oklahoma – All boats must be registered except for boats used exclusively for racing. Based on value. Under $150 fee is $1. Over $150, fee is $1 plus $1 for every $100 in value above $150.

Oregon – Sailboats over 12 feet.

Pennsylvania - Unpowered boats are not required to be registered unless used at a Fish & Boat Commission access area or lake, or at Pennsylvania state parks and state forests. Canoes and non-powered boats must display one of the following: boat registration; launching permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania State Parks. 1-year Launch Permit $10.00

Rhode Island - No

South Carolina – All sailboats

South Dakota – Sailboats over 12 feet

Tennessee – All sailboats

Texas – Sailboats 14 feet and longer

Utah – All sailboats

Vermont - No

Virginia – Sailboats over 18 feet in length

Washington – Sailboats over 16 feet in length

West Virginia - No

Wisconsin - Voluntary registration of non-motorized canoes and kayaks. Canoes under 16 feet $22 + $3.75 transfer fee. Over 16 feet is $37 + *.85 transfer fee. All non-motorized sailboats 12’ and greater must also be registered. 3 years.

Wyoming - No

(Source: http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/defa ... ssage=8040)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is from the Indiana DMV site "If you have a sailboat, it must display watercraft decals and you will need to pay the excise tax and any applicable fees."
Of course the argument is what is a Tandem Island? On my very first venture out I was greeted by a DNR officer, who was very gracious and let me continue on, but explained to me that if it has a sail, it is a sailboat and needs to be registered. He hoped that I would take his advice, which I did. My insurance agent also stated that a registered boat is much easier to deal with in the case of theft or damage than an unregistered one. It's not that much cost and it supports the waterways that we all use and enjoy.

Hobie tramps- black

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How about assembling a list of states which require you to buy an invasive species sticker for each of your paddle craft each year? Like Idaho. which really sucks if you have a lot of paddle craft. Specifically, two fishing kayaks, four whitewater kayaks, a canoe, and a cataraft. It would be nice if each paddler could get an invasive species card, which could be used with a variety of paddle craft.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In florida anything over 16 ft needs to me registered. I got pulled over with my TI, I tried to out run them but they had a Scarab super boat (lol).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Re: Invasive Species tag or inspections....
We recently did a trip into Canada and they had just started mandatory inspections at each commercial vehicle weigh station. You dont get a tag or receipt, and will find yourself stopping often (we hit three in one day). They were very pleasant and are still learning how to manage the process. Due to their station configuration, you may find yourself waiting in some fairly long lines of trucks. It was interesting to see how much the motorhome and towed car (with kayaks on top) weighed from day to day (you have to go over the scales to get to the inspection area).

Oregon is now a mandatory inspection at Port of Entry, even in the dead of winter in a blizzard (yes...did that, in fact)....even though under 10 feet is exempt from a permit.

Wyoming was awkward last fall, because the boat inspectors at the Port of Entry dont work all hours or every day. You are then required to divert your travel and go to a division of wildlife office (which took us about 150 miles out of our way). When we explained we were just driving across the state, they said to get inspected or go around the state. We made the extra drive, unloaded the boats and all the gear, watched them slide the boats around and roll them over on the pavement, paid the money, reloaded, and drove on to Colorado.....long angry trip, doing it that way.

There is a lot of confusion out there and people get fed up and just drive on by after a couple bad experiences. Calling ahead, to get the facts, doesnt work. Whatever they tell you on the phone is often the opposite of your experience when you arrive.

Oh....by the way....watch yourself coming through the Border Patrol checkpoints near Mexico. Last month they unloaded us out of the rig, took the car, borrowed the keys, and ran the kayaks through a giant x-ray device. The metal slugs in the hull can really raise some eyebrows for the x-ray inspectors! They were very nice about the whole deal, but it felt strange standing with the detained foreigners while people drove by staring at us for about half an hour...wondering what those two old people had been stopped for! I'm surprised we didnt show up on Facebook or YouTube, somewhere.

Times they are a'changing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

South Dakota requires all non motorized watercraft over 12' in length to be registered. It's currently $16 per year. If it's 12' exactly registration is not required but anything over has to be registered. SD has reciprocity accepting the registration from another state. If the resident state doesn't require registration, I'd recommend getting it registered in MN since they renew 2-3 years at nearly the same price SD charges annually.

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm happy to pay registration fees and fishing license fees. It means more and better launches, more conservation and management (if we want it to stay nice), more and better kayak trails without burdoning the rest of the state covering our favorite pastime (just wouldn't be fair, and nothing in this world is free)
Thats my take on things
FE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A number of states require vessel registration if you stick a motor on it, even a trolling motor. I think the Oregon sailboat registration is relatively new. Does a kayak over 12' with a sail count as a sailboat? What if you launch as a pedal/paddle kayak, hoist sail for awhile, then stow the sail for landing? Have fun debating the State troopers or local sheriffs(who wind up enforcing most fishing and boating laws) on that one.

pmmpete wrote:
How about assembling a list of states which require you to buy an invasive species sticker for each of your paddle craft each year? Like Idaho. which really sucks if you have a lot of paddle craft. Specifically, two fishing kayaks, four whitewater kayaks, a canoe, and a cataraft. It would be nice if each paddler could get an invasive species card, which could be used with a variety of paddle craft.

Some states don't have stickers. For example, Oregon issues a Tyvex kind of tag you can use on multiple watercraft. Some states, the Invasive Species fee is part of the vessel registration and non-transferable.

fusioneng wrote:
I'm happy to pay registration fees and fishing license fees. It means more and better launches, more conservation and management (if we want it to stay nice), more and better kayak trails without burdoning the rest of the state covering our favorite pastime (just wouldn't be fair, and nothing in this world is free)
Thats my take on things
FE

I agree with this for the most part. If you consider yourself a sportsman, you should support the sport. Anyhow, this is America, not much is free anyway. What's really fun is when you live in one state, another state is a half mile away and that half mile is the river you do most of your fishing on. Two, two, two sets of complicated fishing regulations in one!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder how many of you know that each time you buy boating or fishing equipment, you are paying a built-in 10% excise tax on the item/s. This is currently known as the Sportfish Restoration Act and is, in fact, the largest source of revenue for each of the 50 States Game and Fish Departments.

The fee is buried in the price of the item, beginning at the point of manufacture or import, and passed along through each point in the buying/selling process until it reaches the consumer.

Currently, over 94% of the tax collected is returned to the 50 States based on a combination of factors included number of fishing license holders and water to land ratio. The U.S. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife withholds 6% for administrative purposes, but none of the tax revenue is diverted into any general fund use.

There is a similar 11% tax on all hunting items.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, only certain and rather few boating items fall under the tax, and it doesn't include boats themselves. You did NOT pay a 10% tax on your boat purchase.

The taxes collected from the boating item portion are used directly for building, improving and maintaining public launch facilities.

The tax on fishing equipment is also limited to 10% or $10, whichever is less. Fishermen did not and do not get a "break" - they lobbied for this this tax to be imposed on themselves for the purpose of maintaining and improving our waterways and fish stocks, for everyone. They continue to pay the lion's share of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I began to wonder if I should stop at the Agriculture Inspection Stations on I-95 in northern Florida after reading this thread. (I'm pulling a covered TI on a Trailex trailer.) I called their general number and was diverted to one of the stations; the statute reads that an auto pulling a boat should stop. In the end I was asked to please stop and let them look at the TI. I was also told that no other states on my route to PA would have similar stops, but I wonder how long that will last as more states are concerned with invasive species (zebra muscles, etc.).

I'll post my experience.