Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've considered adding a Jackson Elite Seat to my 2014 Outback and have read about a dozen or so DIYs using various techniques.

I've been warned that there could be potential problems with the kayak itself not surviving (cracked hull) but haven't seen anyone posting about actual issues, just lots of warnings.

So I have two questions:

1. is there any evidence that someone has damaged their kayak by doing this modification?
2. since the Elite seat 1.0 is no longer made, has anyone done this with Elite 2.0?

Thanks for any input

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also curious about this, will be following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You should ask a third question:

3. Does adding a Jackson seat to a pre-2015 Outback reduce the stability of the Outback, and if so, to what extent?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just gave an elite seat 2.0 to friend that has an original Jackson Cuda 14 and the original 1.0 seat. They fit the exactly the same but the 2.0 seat has plastic covers riveted over the four leg post tubes. I think this was done to create more surface area for the seat to rest/distribute its weight on. My original Cuda 12's hall cracked under the back right seat post even with the 2.0 seat. But Jackson was good enough to replace my 2015 with either a blank 2016 hull or a fully rigged but blemished 2016. I picked the blemished 2016 fully rigged and now have spare parts from the old boat. That is why I was able to give the seat to my friend. I personally think they have a deck design problem which I am sure will be addressed sooner rather than later.

Anyway, I think that if you were to remove the plastic covers from the seat posts of the elite seat 2.0 it would work exactly the same way they are doing it I the videos I have seen with the 1.0 seat and the Atwood pole clips. Personally the 2.0 seat is far superior in comfort, I don't think you can go wrong with it at all. But if your really wanting a 1.0 seat, my buddy would probably be willing to part with his for a fair price. Also, if I were doing this, especially using the Atwood pole clip method, I would put as large a washer or plate as I could find that would fit between the atwood pole clip and the hull so as to spread the weight more than you would have with using that little 2" pole clip alone.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just called Jackson on the 4th of April 2016 to ask the exact same thing. I wanted their original seat with just the exposed metal tube frame. They told me that the 1.9 seat has the same specs as the original elite seat. This is my next purchase on payday. It's about time I start getting more use out of my outback.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a nice 2014 mirage Outfitter tandem and very interested in this seat mod! I can’t stand sitting in the stock uncomfortable seats and this time of year especially don’t want to be sitting in water! Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I’m still interested in knowing whether the Jackson Elite 2.0 seat can be easily fitted to pre-2014 Hobie Outback’s.

As it’s very hard to get the 1.0 here in Australia

Cheers,

Gus