Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you had a choice, which two Hobie kayaks would you own and why for the same person? We hear all the time about which "ONE" but if you could choose two, which "TWO"?

The Tandem Island is my first choice for the open waters of Costa Rica Pacific, it not only allows for passenger carry but even when solo it provides a smoother ride (rear seat over the older AI) and allows the greatest speed, travel, versatility of any of the Hobie kayak line.

BUT,

that being said it still doesn't perform everything as well for specific situations. The islands with amas are not ideal in heavy surf (far too risky to damage), and it is the biggest, heaviest kayak of them all which requires a trailer for the easiest setup. So what about those situations where you don't want to use a trailer, there is heavy surf, narrow water ways or limited access? Then which kayak is the most capable in these situations but provides the lightest foot print without compromising too much on speed or safety?

Thus I welcome my new companion, the Revolution 11.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you just go solo then two kayaks might cover all bases, but factor in two people and it's difficult to get the all round combination. You need three IMHO:
After starting with an old Tandem (pre Oasis) we added 2 AI's(v1) and a TI to the fleet. Sold the Tandem and used the TI as a replacement, in kayak mode. Used the AI's in kayak mode a lot as well.
Came to like sailing the TI solo more than the AI so sold the AI's and got a '14 Adventure.
Eventually tired of the hassle in removing the TI from the trailer to strip it down and came to miss the simplicity of the Oasis.
We recently added a '16 Oasis.
So we now have our ideal combination of:
TI -full day sailing trips and expeditions, double or solo.
Adventure -solo paddle trips and my commute
Oasis- spur of the moment pedal only quick trips or longer, double.
This combination works very well for us.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:26 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

To cover all the bases you should really have at least 4 Hobies. Two is really too limiting! So you should pick two more -- maybe something inflatable for traveling, and another more specifically geared toward fishing?
stringy wrote:
Eventually tired of the hassle in removing the TI from the trailer to strip it down and came to miss the simplicity of the Oasis.
Stringy's right! Your best next choice would have to be the Oasis -- truely the most versatile boat in the fleet! One person, two people, add a dog as well. Great performer, loves all kinds of weather. Huge capacity, you could transport a refrigerator on it. Excellent stand-up stability, easily transportable! We've had 3 so far -- could never envision life without an Oasis!

Alright, so that makes 5 now. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
To cover all the bases you should really have at least 4 Hobies. Two is really too limiting! So you should pick two more -- maybe something inflatable for traveling, and another more specifically geared toward fishing?
stringy wrote:
Stringy's right! Your best next choice would have to be the Oasis -- truely the most versatile boat in the fleet! One person, two people, add a dog as well. Great performer, loves all kinds of weather. Huge capacity, you could transport a refrigerator on it. Excellent stand-up stability, easily transportable! We've had 3 so far -- could never envision life without an Oasis!

Stringy, I guess I fail to understand why you would have to remove the TI from the Trailer to "strip it down", unless you have a non trailex trailer. Just pop out the amas from their cradle holder and disconnect. No need to remove the TI. Don't take the sail with you. Done TI in mono hull mode.
But if you got room for 3, Stringy, why not!!!

I'm still not sold on the inflatable Hobie, unless used in very limited fashion, would feel much better on the ocean with a hard body. But this could be an option for the right person. Thought about it, but then said no way, not me. EDIT- I take that back about the inflatables. I could see where this might come in handy for flight travel.

Why a solo fishing yak, the TI and Revo 11 do just that. There is no Hobie fishing kayak only that holds up to a TI fishing performance/versatility in most circumstances I would insinuate. : 8)

Some kayaks are perfect for certain situations in versatility if purchasing only 1. Those would be the PA's, Revolution 13 & 16, Outback, AI. For Tandems, Oasis. I can't think of a reason for owning any of those kayaks if owning a TI/Revo11 combo, other than your too tall or heavy for the Revo 11, then substitute it for the Revolution 13.

The Sport for kids or smaller adults, but I would still take the Revolution 11 over the Sport. The Outfitter, why when you have the Oasis and even better the TI.

If I'm going to own a paddle yak only, it's not going to be a Hobie.

If I was ever going to add a 3rd Hobie it would be for surfing as Matt suggested with the discontinued Maui. What a blast that looks like.

Of course that's just my needs. We all have differences. So which 5 RR fits your needs?

RR, I love this shot of your Revo 11 in the back of the car.

Last edited by CR Yaker on Sat May 14, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
stringy wrote:

My wife and I wanted to get an Oasis but were underwelmed by the storage space. The front hatch is tiny compared to even the Revo 11. Getting gear (in dry bags) in and out of that hatch seemed to be difficult.