Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It seems all of these wilderness areas are prohibited to "mechanized" vehicles/boats/etc., and they all consider the Mirage Drive to be mechanized. Is Hobie or anyone trying to get this changed? To kayak and fish those areas, I either have to get a second kayak or sell my Hobie. Very frustrated.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you looked up the actual definition in the codes or ordinances? It may well be that the Mirage Drive is considered a mechanized device, or you may find that it actually refers to some sort of mechanical power other than human, wind, etc. How the park Rangers define it and how a court might define it could be entirely different. The proof would be in the actual wording. If it simply says "mechanized" then you might start looking up some accepted definitions and/or finding a legal precedent that would better define the term.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All mirage drive Hobie kayaks come with paddles. You could just leave the mirage drive at home and go old school. The other option is to take them both and if you're harassed by the Rangers just switch to using the paddle. I don't think you will get any attention other than curiosity.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I feel your pain. I was interested in using my Hobie Adventures in Quetico (the north side of the BWCA) in 2009. I've done lots of interior canoe camping there previously. Our local Hobie dealer reported to me that Quetico park staff informed him that he'd have to leave the mirage drive (pedal drive) back at the store (during a demo day) because it's considered to be a "mechanical device". Sailboats are forbidden as well I understand (boom?). It just seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Apparently, you ARE allowed to fix a plastic bag between two paddles and use that as a sail for your canoe though. :lol:

I was told that it depends on the park designation. I believe Algonquin Park allows Hobies. I think you can rent them there. It has a slightly different designation than Quetico/BWCA though.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A shame they are ostracizing an entire community of park users with an ambiguous definition of "mechanical drive." One could almost argue that a paddle in its own right is mechanical in nature.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The amount of regulation you guys face sounds ludicrous to an outsider! And I think that the definition of mechanised is an interesting and debatable one - a paddle, after all, is a lever; if that isn't a mechanised device then I don't know what is - and the whole of the north American continent was opened up by people like the Voyageurs using mechanised devices (Canoes) to travel the rivers and lakes so there is some history behind that argument.

Easy for me to say but personally I would go for the "it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" approach - take your mirage drive with you, paddle off from the dock and then switch when you are out of easy reach. Of course you might come up against a real jobsworth who wants to arrest you or shoot you (I assume they are armed?!) but apart from that common sense will probably prevail and if not, then you get to play your part in re-opening the great Northern Wilderness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TI_Tom wrote:
A shame they are ostracizing an entire community of park users with an ambiguous definition of "mechanical drive." One could almost argue that a paddle in its own right is mechanical in nature.

I agree with the sentiment expressed by all here. Further, would a kayak rudder not be considered a mechanical device?!?! Yet kayaks ARE allowed in the BWCA/Quetico. I know in a general sense that the park wants to keep things "traditional". And I suppose that by "traditional" they mean the prominent use of a paddle. Still - I just don't see any logical or even irrational reason why the pedal-drive should be banned.

I'll be heading to White Otter Castle again on July 4th. That area is just as nice as Quetico, there are no park fees, and I can bring the Hobies. I'll post some photos when I'm back.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Always wondered if they allowed mirage drives there. Been there twice and was hoping to take my family there with the hobies for a week trip. Bummer.