Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, I hope everyone has been having fun and catching lots of fish in their kayaks! I just wanted to post some pics of a trolling motor setup I made with a watersnake t24. Im currently waiting for my pwm from wireless trolling pro. I spoke with Leon about specs and sizing for one of the pwm he manufactures and after confirming it will fit inside the head of the watersnake t24, I ordered one. I had ordered a cheap one from amazon but after installing it I soon found out it makes the motor hum so loud you would be scaring everything away haha. Here's some pics of my motor build and my new marine mat install. If anyone has any questions about it, I'll be be glad to answer them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where did you purchase the watersnake at?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got the watersnake from seaeagle.com. They were the only place that had any in the US that I could find. I bought three of them and they were 129 each and 45 to ship them all to Florida.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought two last week from them also. I thought you might have found a different vendor at a lower price. I spent a few months looking for them until I ran across seaeagle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ya it was really tough to find them. I contacted the distributer here but they had no idea what was going on. I then got a hold of them in Australia and they said they were running behind i manufacturing them and it could three months before they got more here. I went a head and bought three so I had extras. I did just order a aluminum prop for it that's made by young. The specs look pretty close hub wise but the blade diameter is 7" vs 6" for the stock prop. There's another company that machines a aluminum prop for the watersnake asp but it's 125. The one for 125 is made by islandhopperoutboards.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Which battery are you currently using and how long does it last? I just built one last week using a Haswing t20 trolling motor and haven't had a chance to test it out. I wonder how it will compare to the watersnake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been using a 55ah deep cycle agm and get 8-10 hours of mixed fishing. I had it on high speed almost the entire time fishing not to long ago for almost 5 hours with probably 3 hours of non stop motor usage and when I got home I had 28% left. When I get the pwm installed I don't think I could ever bring the battery back down to 28% unless I had it flat out the entire time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Let's hope I get a few hours on the vmax 35ah battery I got. What charger are you currently using ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You should get more than a few hours out of the 35ah. If you add a pwm into the housing you will get more than you need out of that 35ah. I'm using a noco genius 7200.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We don't have a PA, but we do have a TI, personally my preference would be to mount twin motors like your watersnake with PWM drives (if you find a good pwm, please share).
My plan instead of using the mirage slot would be to mount on my existing motor mounts (where I currently have my twin Honda's mounted). My desire would be to have them tiltable so I can just tilt them up and out of the way when pure sailing. I already know my power requirements based on my current twin Honda's, I use 3/4hp from each motor (1.5hp total) to maintain my normal 8-10 mph cruise speed while powersailing with my custom high pitch props, and have never needed the full hp from the motors (they operate just above idle always (nice and quiet, and I currently get 2-3 hrs run time per tank which is nice (each tank is 1 quart)).
My plan would be to only use the electric motors while sailing (with my wingsail) and peddling my boat (I always pedal 100% of the time regardless, and always force my passenger to peddle as well) so the watersnakes would never need to provide 100% of my power requirements (roughly 30% to 40% of my energy requirements).
My plan would be to have two independent setups with two nice lithium batteries and PV solar setups on the tramps (one for each motor totally independent from each other where I could run one for a while while the other is charging with the PV solar, then switch motors back and forth periodically. Then in a pinch if I need more power I could run on both at the same time for short periods if needed. I have lots of room on the tramps for quite a bit of solar panel area and don't mind having them on the boat. I would likely start with a pair of smaller AGM batteries initially till I know everything works).
Of course I could do the same with twin Torqeedo 403's but who the heck can afford them (lol). I been trying to save up for the 403's for 3yrs now, it ain't gonna happen, but I could sneak the watersnakes in and all the other stuff right away (under the wifes nose lol).
Obviously I will have to design and build my own high pitch props so their power range is in the 8-12 mph range.
I also have a fuel cell design that I can add into the mix for charging if the PV solar ends up being not strong enough (I'm kind of thinking my power demands will be around 300 watts per motor max, but won't know for sure till it's in place.
Of course I can get everything to work without any motors at all with two good peddlers peddling like madmen but we are pooped out within a mile or two. If I can maintain 8-10 mph for several hrs, to match my current setup, I'll be happy.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That actually sounds like a really cool setup. You could probably use a pwm in each motor then wire them both into one potentiometer. I have a pwm coming from wirelesstrollingpro.com
I spoke with the owner for a while and his pwm's sound like they are perfect for our application and come with a pre wired potentiometer with a length of shielded wire . The potentiometer is perfect for our setup because of the center stop with 0-100% forward when you turn the knob right and 0-100% reverse when you turn the knob left. The boards are also water resistant. Mine will be here Friday and I'll be able to give you more details on it. I got the 30amp diy pwm so I can put it inside the head of the trolling motor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll probably have one pot on the left and the other on the right, next to me seat so I can also somewhat steer with the motors left or right by varying the rpms on one or the other motor, actually helps in side winds (my current setup works this way), just in case of rudder failure, I can also unlock the motors and steer with the tiller in a pinch, (TI's are kind of known for breaking their rudder pins, always nice to have a backup plan). With electrics I could concievably put one in reverse and spin on a dime (lol,,, I'll need to test that theory though).
If you can share what actually works well, that can save tons of time and research. Of course I'll also post my trials and tribulations as well.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That sounds like a cool idea. I don't see why it wouldn't help you turn but I don't know how it would act going from forward to reverse under speed. I bought a cheap 40a pwm on amazon, which is the same generic one you can find on ebay. The frequency it's on is horrible for my 24lb. It is so loud it's ridiculous. The one coming from trolling motor pros uses a mosfet h bridge with a frequency for trolling silently. I'll be able to let you know just how silently on Friday haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What size hole did you drill to feed the trolling motor through ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used a 1 inch paddle bit.