Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

2015 Hobie Revolution 13 seat wear.
My revolution was purchased in July of 2015. By far, it is superior to my previous paddle kayaks for use in offshore saltwater fishing. I have used this kayak approximately 50 times and recently noticed the side rail seat screws are noticeably pulling out from the seat frame. Is there a reinforcement kit?

On another note, when surfing down swell the kayak tends to veer to the left side. I realize this kayak is tender and responsive and have balanced my equipment equally with no noticeable change. Is there a rudder or fin adjustment which might address this occurrence?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing to reinforce. Perhaps use w bit of blue loc tite on the loose screws.

Surfing a mirage kayak can cause the boat to turn as the drive becomes drag forward and stalls the front... may turn left or right for a variety of reasons / pedal position / angle of the swell. Keep pedaling / power on to maintain steering. All powered craft have a similar tendancy when powered down.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the reply. My seat problem is due to the screws separating from the seat frame and not unscrewing.
The point of the seat frame where the screws enter is weakening. If you would like I could sent several photos to illustrate the situation.
This may be a warranty discussion, if no remedy for reinforcement exists.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Send a note and images to [email protected]

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks to my dealer Black Creek Outfitters and Hobie for coordinating and resolving my seat issue. This will put my kayak back in action.
We are looking forward to hooking up the next big one.

Jal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

jal wrote:
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 seat wear.
On another note, when surfing down swell the kayak tends to veer to the left side. I realize this kayak is tender and responsive and have balanced my equipment equally with no noticeable change. Is there a rudder or fin adjustment which might address this occurrence?

The surfing performance of a Mirage Drive kayak will be affected by both the rudder and the Mirage Drive fins. Next time you catch a wave and start surfing, try pushing one pedal all the way forward so the fins will be up against the bottom of the kayak, and see if your kayak still veers to the left side.

The fins on a surfboard are at the rear of the board, so they tend to aim the board down the fall line of the wave. Mirage Drives are located about a third of the way back from the nose of Hobie kayaks, so if a Mirage Drive kayak starts surfing when the drive is in, the fins will tend to make the kayak veer sharply to one side or the other. As soon as the kayak turns sideways, the fins and the rudder catch water sideways, and the wave pushes the kayak over in the direction the wave is moving. Boom! You can see this in YouTube videos of Mirage Drive kayaks getting dumped over in surf. One way to avoid this when landing in surf is to pull out the drive and paddle the kayak through the surf to the beach. Another way is to instantly push one pedal all the way forward as soon as you start getting surfed. This is counter-intuitive, as the tendency when you catch a wave and start surfing is to brace against the pedals with both feet even, but with practice you can develop this reflex.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your views. A major problem is the fishing equipment value.
Losing reels,etc can. Be heavy as you know

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jal wrote:

Store or leash anything you cant risk loosing.

If you try it with drive removed and just paddling, that will show how the drive affects it.

If you remove drive in surf conditions dont rely on the quick connect hobie leash. If you roll the yak with drive loose, or even drop it in surf it is not strong enough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jal wrote:

Best thing to do when surf landing where stability might be compromised is to disassemble rods/reels before landing. Store reels and other valuables in a dry bag in one of the hatches and strap your rods down in the horizontal position.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All replies are quite correct and I appreciate your suggestions. An interesting point is we have stripped our kayaks and practiced however the learning curve is demanding

For those of you who surf , you know that

it all happens in 10 seconds and the ride is over. For better or worse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

I think far to many people don't take the time to learn a couple of skills before heading out to fish. You should learn what to do if you capsize. How to get back in. How to handle the boat of surf conditions... all before leaving loaded to fish. Spend some time at the lake or near shore... with help near by... practicing... play with the boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fully agree that a very important part of kayak handling is knowing what to do in an emergency. Practice before true launching and surf landing cannot be substituted with verbal or written instruction only.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jal wrote:
I fully agree that a very important part of kayak handling is knowing what to do in an emergency. Practice before true launching and surf landing cannot be substituted with verbal or written instruction only.

Not a bad idea to workout a decent handle grab point on the back, so if you fall out, or even bail as a last resort, you can hang on and body board it in. Trying to remount and realign in a surf zone is not the easiest thing to do, and everything is already drenched by then.

If you put vantage seat in full recline you lower your COG and trim the yak more nose up to reduce burying nose ( I do this in following seas too). Does feel like tobogganing though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We do hold the kayak by the rear carry handle and guide the kayak through the surf when it is overhead

Since our water is tropical, it is easy to wait on a good set and run the last wave to the beach.
Reef booties are a must to avoid foot cuts, since our coast is primarily black reef.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Seat warranty:

My Revo 13 2015 seat has been under discussion in previous posts. Please make clear the Hobie warranty on the seats. My first issue was side rail screws loosening, however now the left side bottom and back mesh parts are tearing from the sewn border. I was told by Black Creek that Hobie was sending a mesh replacement, however it never came.
Regards