Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would have preferred the Torqueedo, but I had to choose the Ford over the Cadillac.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Same here, i would have bought the hobie evolve if the bigger battery pack could be bought directly with the eolve pack, but 4000 Euros (pack plus battery), almost the price of the kayak, for a safety unit is totally unjustifable.

With the bixpy, with an additional battery, for half that price, i get double the range and a propulsor that i can use when i m tired AND a snorkeling propulsor that i can use to explore around once the kayak is anchored (kakak pack plus hand propulsor pack plus additional battery)

Over the last 10 years, the "evolve" offer has only evolved once and prices didnt follow the downtrend of lithium batteries prices. Immobilism means death there too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used to have torqeedo in my PA 14 with the small battery. Sold my PA and the torqeedo. If i would dobit again, i will go for a Bixpy. I like the ifea of having one unit that works as Kayak propulsion and Snorkeling for the kids to enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello again,

I m about to buy a bixpy for my TI tandem 2013. Can anybody confirm that the TI adapters fit also in older pre 2014 frames (the mirage drive was rebuilt with the new version)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We would all like to know if the bixby is a viable solution for a bigger boat like the TI. I would have zero desire to get one to find out it only propels the boat 2mph and only lasts 10 minutes. Hopefully someone has used one by now.
To date I haven’t heard anything.
FE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Last month I was able to give my Bixpy jet a quick run. I will say that the Bixpy at half speed did compare to my ST fins at a "fast pace" with my revo-11.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here`s a motor mount for the Bixpy jet I made from Tom`s idea.... (pictures below) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzLB8-ghvw

Last edited by oldyaker on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I tried out the motor mount and it worked ok except the pvc on the hull made a lot of noise plus I had to turn the motor out about 10 degrees to go straight. It works well along with the mirage drive.

Last edited by oldyaker on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any chance you can post your pics again? I need to figure out a way to mount my Bixby and I'm not crazy about sacrificing pedaling or the efficiency of the rudder.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I copied Tom`s motor mount from you tube. https://imgur.com/tZC7ASo ... https://imgur.com/xQ0S7gb

Post subject: Experience return
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now that spring in the northern hemisphere is kicking in, anybody got feedback on the bixpy motor on a tandem treasure island (speed, distance, maneuvrability). The company does give a few datas with the boat, but usually manufacturers datas are a bit optimistic to say the least.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have all been waiting patiently for someone to give some feedback on TI’s with the bixby waterjet.
I suspect the Bixby may be a little too small for such a large boat like the TI.
However it may be possible to install twin bixby waterjets on a larger boat, however doing so would likely require re-propping the propellors to a higher pitch. I strongly doubt Bixby, (or anyone else for that matter) would ever do that, so you would have to design and build your own props, ( which is rather complex and difficult). Props work like a nut on a threaded shaft, the speed is fixed to the rpm, and hp requirement is tied to the prop diameter and water resistance.

The only viable mounting option would be the universal kayak mount, ( they show one mounted on a pro angler on their website pics), looks similar to the Torqeedo ball mount, in my case I would have one mounted on each side of the boat.
I would never mount anything on the rudder, or place in the mirage drive slots under any circumstances.

They do have expected performance specs for a TI on their website now. 4.5mph speed for an hour would be un-acceptable for me for offshore use, (would be deadly for us). However this information is enough for me to determine the power requirements, and I now know exactly what needs to be done to successfully switch out my Honda Hybrid motors for bixby’s. (Note: the power output of my current hybrid Honda’s is 3/4hp ea, the excess hp capability is unused, but still available for emergency use). Current fuel consumption is 60-80 mpg, (depending a little on actual wind speed). Cost me about a buck on fuel average most times I went out.

Since I already own the Honda’s I would likely keep the Honda’s mounted, but just tilted up, ( unused), and add twin bixby’s behind the Honda’s on swing up ball mounts so during development, I can run either gas or electric with my tri-power system. According to their website the entire system weighs around ten lbs, adding 20 lbs additional weight, (two bixby’s) in the scheme of things on such a large boat like the TI means nothing, (our boats weight capacity was around 800 lbs, (our TI and hull were pretty heavily modified, (fyi)).
Hopefully someone will figure a way to power/charge the system with solar panels. Obviously the simplest solution would be panels running a 110vac inverter, then using the 110vac chargers, (that I assume come with the unit) to recharge an extra pair of batteries while using the first pair, (all in a waterproof box of course).
I think my power requirements will be around 150 watts per motor, a pair of 150 watt panels (300 watts total) might be able to power the whole works.
If I can get 8hrs of continous day time operation, ( on a sunny florida day, regardless of actual wind speed and direction) at an 8mph cruise speed with my tri-power setup I would be happy. Not quite as capable as my old hybrid gas system, but it would do.
If this plays out mathematically I may buy another TI and get started on development, ( would likely take a couple years of development), It may end up being something I would actually use.

I’m now retired, and there is no chance that I could afford any of this, and there would be no chance of Hobie or Bixby supplying me with any of this stuff, so the whole experience will likely remain just a fond memory for me, I know exactly what to do, how to design and build it all. But lets be honest here there is zero desire out there for a car toppable tri-power complex offshore capable sailboat that cruises at 8-10 mph regardless of actual wind conditions with near unlimited range for around $10k.
Which is strange because a Windrider 17 costs $10k, and the WETA costs around $13k, neither can be car topped, or even close capability wise, especially in 3-5mph winds.
Oh well I can’t say it wasn’t fun for me, lots of fun memories.
FE

Post subject: Re: Experience return
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:33 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

courcheval wrote:
The company does give a few datas with the boat, but usually manufacturers datas are a bit optimistic to say the least.
That's for sure! When manufacturers list top speed it is usually fiction, towed or going over a waterfall.

I haven't tried the Bixby, but they rate it at 30 lbs of thrust, same as the Evolve (which I am familiar with). If true, the Evolve should be comparable. For instance, Bixpy lists 6 MPH on the Hobie Sport. The Sport can't reach that speed with twice the thrust -- hull speed limitations. If you take their claims and substitute kph for MPH, that would be much closer.

When a company does that, I become skeptical about the rest of their claims. :roll: Time will tell if it's a good product. So far, 4 posters here apparently have bought one over the past year and aside from oldyaker's one brief comment, no detailed reports -- perhaps not so much to brag about?? 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I`m quite satisfied with the Bixpy on my Revo 11. The Bixpy jet and the Mirage drive compliment each other very well. I can`t compare the Revo 11 to a TI but I feel you should demo a Bixpy before you buy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had the chance to use the Bixpy on my TI. Opted for mirage drive mount since my wife nor kids seem to peddle. :). With two of us, it pushed us a tad over 2mph. We were out for well over 2hrs and still had over 50% battery life. In combination with peddling- it exceeded expectations. Noticeable difference on speed and my effort. By itself.... too slow for my liking on the TI (with 2people).

I use it on my sport and paddle boards and love it.