Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Mirage Drive broken.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good day,

I recently bought a used Hobie Mirage revolution 13. I believe the setup is close to 8 years old. The drive that came with the setup was working fine until one of the chains broke due to crosion. I did some research and decided to do the V1-V2 upgrade which went smoothly. Next time I was on the water after about half hour of fishing I lost power and noticed I had broke the connection from the sprocket to the fin mast. Through my research and comparison to other hobie drives I noticed that my drive setup looks a little outdated and could possibly be the model prior to what we call V1? My pictures show the broken part as well as the serial number which is corroded and hard to distinguish. Im hoping that posting these pictures along with the post that someone will be able to point me in the right direction as to what parts I should order. Right now I believe that I need a V1 sprocket shaft as well as two new injection molded V1 sprockets and two V1 masts. Please offer any suggestions as to what parts I would need to get back up and running and on the water getting after some fish! Thanks! Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:31 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Revolution came out in 2006 (2007 model year), but your drive is from 2004 or earlier. Yes, it is pre V-1, and is known for its Stainless Steel sprockets.

You should be able to modernize your Drive. The V-2 components are much better than the V-1 and would be money better spent. The only reason to purchase V-1 equipment (IMO) is to replace individual V-1 parts that have failed. In any event, I believe you can re-use your sprocket shaft. Upon inspection, if you find it worn, simply flip it for re-installation on the unworn side. (Be careful not to over tighten your locking screw -- you can crack the spine. Tighten snug and use Loctite Blue to secure so it doesn't back out). Take a look at your other shafts as well. The drum shaft should probably be replaced if worn, since you're installing new drums -- this will minimize accelerated wear on your drums. You may need new cables/chains as well if going to the V-2 drums.

OR, you can save some money by replacing sprockets and masts only. Again, I would recommend the V-2. They use threaded masts and are much more trouble free -- probably similar price to the V-1s.

Don't discard your remaining good SS sprocket -- some people still use them and would probably love to have a spare. Someone may like to buy it from you if it is in good shape!

The full upgrade is somewhat pricey, but your Drive should last for many years to come. 8)

PS: Loosen the knurled nut on your fins to drop them so that only about 1/8" is sitting in the slot. This gives them room to wind up on the masts and re-direct your thrust more to the rear of the boat -- makes it easier to operate your Drive and no loss in speed! Also, it looks like your rear mast is slightly bent backwards. You can straighten it, but it probably doesn't matter if you are replacing it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think we've already spoken on this - you can still get the old stainless sprockets - I think that's the easiest solution for you.