Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am located Carlsbad Ca. Looking to buy my first kayak. I'm thinking the oasis now i think it will be 50% solo and mostly fishing. The Outfitter doesnt have weight capicity. The Pro anglers looks like a nightmare to handle on land possibly making me not use as much. The oasis seems like a good comprimise any thoughts? is that a mistake. Plan on starting carlsbad lagoons and extending myself to local kelp beds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Oasis is hard to solo, almost 140lbs fully dressed and quite bulky. I got rid of mine when my girlfriend didn't want to go out on it anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Oasis is a great tandem kayak, but if you'll be mostly fishing solo out of the yak I'd think about looking at the PA or an Outback as well. If you're set on a tandem to accommodate wife or others, you'll be happy with the Oasis for sure. I'd recommend getting in touch with a local dealer and scheduling a demo on a few models you're interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Oasis (2011 and newer) is probably the most versatile boat in Hobie's fleet of kayaks. It has stand up stability, holds a ton (almost), solos at over 5 MPH cruising from the front seat and is more fun to use solo than tandem (IMO). Mine weights 86 lb. (bare) and I carry it in the bed of my small truck with a bed extender for easy loading.

The secret to solo performance is ballast. The boat runs fastest from the front seat with about 25# ballast in the extreme rear. From the back seat you go about 1/4 MPH slower with about 55# in the nose. Of course that would vary depending on your weight and gear. The objective is to have it ride level. Also you want your unused drivewell plugged or sealed (I use packing tape with excellent results).

For fishing, the back seat has two rod holders,gives you access to the cargo well and the front cockpit, and has lots of width (best for standing). The front cockpit is longer though and you can mount rod holders on the rails, but access to the other parts of the boat would be severely restricted. With the dual steering controls, you can move back and forth, getting the best of both!

The Oasis handles wind and chop quite well. I think it comes with the large sailing rudder, and I would recommend Turbofins. I use the standard Hobie cart (least expensive) and it handles the boat loaded with gear with ease (not great in soft sand though). 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would also praise the Oasis very highly. (I have owned/STILL OWN Outback V1, Adventure, Outfitter, ADVENTURE ISLAND, OASIS)

If there are two of you and you can't afford (or don't want) a kayak each then you need a double/tandem; of these the Oasis is the best compromise particularly for a heavier 'payload'. As has been said it can easily be soloed; it is relatively quick; it is large, comfortable and dry (unlike some of the single kayaks); it has a huge carrying capacity; and it is a whole lot cheaper than the Tandem Island (of which I also read very good reports as a double kayak it should be said).

The other tandem/double option (Outfitter) is much more of a compromise and in my experience doesn't work half as well as the Oasis - largely due to smaller carrying capacity and overall speed - which is a factor of its short length - with myself and my better 3/4 on board (might work perfectly OK for a lighter crew).

The Oasis does make for a big solo kayak but it is certainly by no means dysfunctional for all that and there are some advantages to the extra size, stability and dryness of ride.

And don't forget that you can, if you are so-inclined, mod it easily to become a very good sailing boat, by adding an extra mast base to make it into a schooner in which configuration it performs very well as long as you don't expect to sail particularly close to the wind.

As someone else has pointed out it is a very versatile option and if your requirement is for a tandem/double it compromises less than some of the other options at a reasonable price point and I think you will not be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine and my wifes physical abilities vary quite a bit. We are long time kayakers and have owned quite a few different Hobie models over the last ten yrs or so. We are campers and have many miles under our belt with our camper in tow and kayaks on the roof. We travel a lot around the country and tend to put in any body of water we find. We only day sail/kayak (all of our kayaks have the Hobie sail kit).
When we had single kayaks we would typically set out to to explore a river, by mid-day (halfway) my wife would be out of gas (legs of rubber) and I would always tow her back to launch. We eventually went to only tandem kayaks where about half the time we are tandem, I tend to do most of the peddling, and she takes over periodically. Both the Oasis and our current boat (tandem Island) both propel just fine solo or with just one person peddling and the other just along for the ride.
Hope this helps
FE

EDIT:
Of course any tandems are always heavier then singles, (any brand or type). However when dealing with two boats that have to be taken down and setup (by me, wife doesn't do that), it's always easier and faster to setup just one boat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for info. I signed up for first cast program out of Dana point 7 May. Ill test drive a couple and try to pull the trigger. I really do appreciate you all taking the time to give your opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The 2017 Outback will hold all most folks will need even for several days camping, etc. Just returned from six day trip to Lake Powell. By the way, the new reverse is an incredible addition to your fishing game. Weather took a big dip to 35 F mornings and 55 PMs. Shut down fish big time. Caught more than my share because of reverse. Would slide up to slanted structure, flip in Gulp Minnow on 1/80th oz. slip sinker, let it slowly settle, go to reverse, and back off ever so slowly watching for the softest takes as rig slid down structure to 20 feet. Then would also back troll over 20-foot flats. In reverse you can study line for softest takes. Deadly. Caught lots of walleyes and few smallmouth, plus numbers of cruising stripers. There were six of us Hobie guys and the reverse accounted for as many fish as the rest put together. These are top anglers and all agreed the reverse gave me a huge edge. Thanks Hobie for the awesome addition!

Oldguysrule