Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone come up with quick, easy and secure way of stowing drives and or drive plugs so they can swap from pedal to paddle effectively?

On revo 16 at moment i can strap it down to centre with fin tips tucked under front of seat. Drive bungie hooked across to daggerboard slot pad eye and pedal shaft bungied to a pad eye swapped out with forward furling cleat. Doesn't move but it blocks centre hatch and cuts off usable space so that I cant effectively fish, only go from A to B with it stored there. Trying to strap under front hatch bungies is dodgy. having turbo fins increases difficulty

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have always stored the tethered MD under the front bungee and have never had a problem. The axle drops into the hatch recess and it stays in place. I used to sail my AI with the MD there which was a good test and it never budged, even when occasionally submerged. I mostly paddle my Adventure but always take the MD for when the wind picks up. It is easy to reach when needed. A bit harder to restow there though!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats the trick, offset with just one fin under straps..That sounds a lot easier than trying to get two under. I will give it a shot next time.

You ever tried thigh straps when paddling? I have been experimenting with them and it makes a huge difference

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What front bungee? My Revo hatch hold down bungee is not located where the picture shows, and there are no other bungee there.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kingdaddy wrote:
What front bungee? My Revo hatch hold down bungee is not located where the picture shows, and there are no other bungee there.

The photo is a revo 16/adventure, which is completely different to a revo 13 if that is what you are thinking about

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

WAVERIDER wrote:
You ever tried thigh straps when paddling? I have been experimenting with them and it makes a huge difference

Yes, thigh straps give you much more control over a kayak. I'm a whitewater kayaker, and I sometimes feel like a marble rolling around on a plate when paddling a sit-on-top kayak. I miss the control you get from thigh and foot braces, and have installed padeyes on both my Revolution and my Trident so I can clip in thigh braces when paddling (not pedaling!) in or out through surf or in other big waves. You can leave the thigh hooks clipped in when fishing, but you risk catching hooks on them. That risk is less if you unhook the front of the thigh hooks and stuff them behind your seat, and there won't be any risk of catching hooks if you unclip the thigh straps and store them inside your kayak when you are fishing.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How I 'stow' my drive: pull the drive up out of the slot, turn it round along a vertical axis 180 degrees so it is pointing at you fins down pedals up, then lie it down on the cockpit floor with the pedals flat to the deck under your thighs and the fins pointing forwards between your feet. I then belay my drive to the boat via a large stainless steel snaphook that fits through a pedal-shaft adjustment pin hole. Drive is then out of the way, secure and within easy reach.

How I 'stow' my drivewell plug: I leave it under the bungee on the rear load tray where it sloshes about but always seems within easy reach when I need it.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried Stringys method. Perfect as it clears the deck for greater utility and work space. Probably add a padeye and short bungy to hold the shafts more rigid so no chance of dislodging in a roll over. Fouls the anchor trolley a bit though

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, what kind of front hatch arrangement do you have?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner, I'm guessing you mean the black deck hatch bag seen in the pic?
It's a waterproof bag available from one of our large outdoor retailers designed to sit on a kayak deck and has clips for securing.
https://www.anacondastores.com/boating/ ... BP90035303
It looks like it might be a rebadged version of this https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-399/Aegir-Deck-Bag
I like its hatch for quick access. It also doubles as a spray deflector of sorts. I intend to improve that by mounting it on a shaped foam base that would deflect water down the sides of the deck.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:31 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks stringy! It looks like a great little storage compartment / dry bag -- secure yet accessible. Very nice! 8)