Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As a side experiment to aide paddling I tried a piece of timber wedged across the footwell at a distance to suit me and profiled each end to fit the side foot scollops. This becomes a foot rest/bar. Surprisingly big improvement. Paddling power substantially improves as you push down with your foot. Also given the hobies have open cockpits, being a bar rather than foot pegs when you try to edge the kayak you can shift your entire "uphill" foot and leg over for weight transfer which you cant do with pegs or if you have a center consol. Really helps when you want to lean the kayak to counter a constant cross wind

Being just wedged there I can quickly remove it if I want to pop the drive in. Much better, simpler, and cheaper, than previous ideas I had of rigging up hinged foot pegs. Handy bit of lumber to have as a fish pacifier too..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Based on what I'm seeing here (and thanks for all the tips) the skeg idea seems like it might be the way to go. I'm thinking of trying the J-B Weld 8272 MarineWeld Marine Epoxy. I'll let ya'll know if I do and how it works out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8