Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gregbenner wrote:

I do have a couple of the small skegs,like RR used, on order. I plan to try them when I get them. I used 3M 5200 Marine adhesive for the skeg on the well plug and it seems to be holding. Would this work well fastening the small skegs directly to the hull, flaming it first?

I would go the double sided stuff as recommend earlier, kayak plastic is notoriously difficult to bond to. Finding anything that is proven to work is the way to go. Combining these with the plug skeg should make a difference. Just keep in mind what will fail first if the weight of the kayak is put on the skeg plug if you forget to remove it, which you will.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

WAVERIDER wrote:

I would go the double sided stuff as recommend earlier, kayak plastic is notoriously difficult to bond to. Finding anything that is proven to work is the way to go. Combining these with the plug skeg should make a difference. Just keep in mind what will fail first if the weight of the kayak is put on the skeg plug if you forget to remove it, which you will.

Almost hailed it out today to fit my new seat, ended up not needing to take out, but never thought once about removing the skeg in the drive well.

I have to admit I get sort of confused reading thru so many posts and ideas. I get the flaming concept, but what else? Just dual sided tape?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gregbenner wrote:

I have to admit I get sort of confused reading thru so many posts and ideas. I get the flaming concept, but what else? Just dual sided tape?

Just make sure its clean with isopropyl alcohol, small pump bottles from electronics stores. The tape contact bonds immediately so make sure you get it lined up before making contact

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thx WR, I ordered some 3m 5952 today.

I have noticed that apparently there is more that one size rudder available? I have no idea which size I have, assume it’s what it came with. Would a larger rudder help? I do have a sail kit, which I haven’t tried yet but definitely plan to once I get a bit more familiar with it.

I’m starting to get the hang of pedaling and paddling together, and really like it. Great exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

large rudders will turn you better, and help track better in strong crosswinds. But if you are paddling and trailing it like a skeg it will be more resistance and make it harder to manoeuvre the kayak with the paddle. I try not to drop the rudder when paddling unless I have to due to this. But yes when used in pedal mode and operating the rudder by hand it is a worthwhile upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That sailing rudder is awesome for pedaling use and sailing. I really don't know why Hobie doesn't make it a stock item instead... but you can save your stock small rudder and try to mount it to the drive well plugs I sent ya.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The larger sailing rudder came stock on our 2016 Oasis.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was hoping the skeg mod would improve towing as well and I was recently able to test this out.
IT WORKS BRILLIANTLY! :D
When towing the Adventure behind our TI, before the skegs were added it would fishtail and crab sideways, ending up at almost 90deg at times to the direction we were travelling. Dropping the rudder helped but it wouldn’t stay locked straight ahead. Dropping, but not down cleating the rudder seemed to work best but it would still ‘tack’ when underway.
It now tracks straight as an arrow with no crabbing/fishtailing.
Such a great mod, thanks Staktup. 8)
I’ll be adding the skegs to our Oasis just for this towing benefit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Holy cow, friggin’ outboard! Sick stuff. Did you just add the 2 small skegs to the Adventure? Glad to hear it worked out, and that the sailing rudder comes stock on some models now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

staktup wrote:
Did you just add the 2 small skegs to the Adventure?

Yes, just the 2 small skegs as detailed in my earlier posts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got my original adventure patched up now mainly for paddling duty. i am thinking of adding the skegs to this also and bolting different sized home made ones onto them(plating) just to experiment what effect different sized ones will have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I look forward to your testing results, WR. Old regular sized rudders might be good to cut down to try.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

daft wrote:
A solution for the retentive is to tape one end of bright yarn segments to the proposed glue points and aim an underwater gopro (clone) camera at indicated flow.

Interesting concept and experiment, I guess this could also vary with speed. On an adventure style hull they fairly close to rear 'keel' and in the shadow of the main hull displacement so the wave displacement angle may be minimal to nil

Reality is due to curve of hull and base pad of fins there is not a lot of area of adjustment. The spine of the fin is rigid and so can't follow the curve of the hull which would be required if you were to angle them as suggested.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The premade fins being discussed in this thread are canted anyway as they are perpendicular to the hull surface they are attached to, which is curved.

When banking/edging a kayak in a regular turn it is edged to the outside, not the inside, as you would a surfboard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

daft wrote:
You pointed out the difficulty of finding adjustment space, but you seem to have the adhesive challenge solved enough to cut off part of the restrictive flange.

The issue here is that the flange is flexible in a side to side axis, so this can follow contour of hull. It is not flexible front to back due to rigid effect of the fin base itself, hence you can't really toe them in or out as it would be required to mold to the hull curvature to do this, which it can't. A surfboard is flat so not an issue in that application.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next