Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: seat for quest
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a new 2016 Quest 13 last year and picked it August 1st...started rigging it only to find out soon after that the 2017 quests were going to have the vantage seats.I love my quest and know I can't get the vantage seat, but would like to upgrade to a better seat. Any quest owners have any experience with other seats and any suggestions? Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: seat for quest
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This comes with a lot of recommendations, not cheap Surf to Summit GTS Expedition High Back Seat

The vantage seats dont have as great an improvement on the paddle kayaks as it does when pedaling, and raises your center of gravity. Not as compact and convenient which is a draw of the smaller quest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered it today. Many good reviews.The problem with the Hobie seats is the straps keep slipping.I had that problem with my old outback and especially the old Revolution and now my 2016 Quest. According to the reviews the Surf to summit seat doesn't do that. I have a 2015 Outback with the Vantage seat so naturally i am spoiled. Maybe this expedition gts seat will soften the blow on the quest. Thanks for all your info.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used the new Surf to Summit seat today and had great back support with no strap slippage. I did a seven hour fishing trip and paddled about five miles with no back pain. Thanks again for suggesting this seat. I'm in my seventies and this seat will help keep me active...really great back support.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mytime wrote:
I used the new Surf to Summit seat today and had great back support with no strap slippage. I did a seven hour fishing trip and paddled about five miles with no back pain. Thanks again for suggesting this seat. I'm in my seventies and this seat will help keep me active...really great back support.

Glad to hear its worth the money.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just replaced one of the seats for my Oasis tandem with a Surf to Summit GTS Exhibition seat. In my case, the seat back straps stitching on the Hobie seat had pulled loose, rendering it basically unusable. I had it restiched at an upholstery shop and it pulled loose again.

The GTS seat fits super, all I had to do was add a couple eyelets behind the seat for the lower seat base straps. The GTS doesn’t have the twist lock pins like the Hoboe seat base, the straps prevent the seat base from sliding forward. I find it much more comfortable, and actually less expensive than a replacement Hobie seat.

I didn’t put any padding under it to raise it, but I might try that as the water and weather get a,little cooler.