Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

obxus wrote:
This plug and bungee fastener system appears to be weak and the seat system in general appears to be a major downgrade as compared to the Outback, etc. Can anyone comment on the seat system and specifically how it fastens to the hull?

When the seat is to be used off the boat, the seat back straps connect to built in loops on the seat pan. When the seat is in the boat, the seat pan rests on four protrusions molded in the boat (see fig. 8 above) and the seat back connects to the cockpit padeye, also seen in figure 8. The seat pan is held in position by a bungee. In this configuration the seat is rock solid. The seat material looks and feels similar to the Vantage seat. The frame is very tough. The seat back is flexible enough to accommodate uneven straps without cracking. The seat lacks some of the features of the Vantage seat, but feels about the same (comfort wise) to me. Major differences -- no height adjustment, no seat angle adjustment, strap adjustment for the lumbar instead of a knob, and no retractable legs.

Quote:
In a recently posted YouTube video of the Compass, a person shows that the seat is only fastened to the hull by two bungee cords. The bungee cords hook into a plastic plug on either side that is just pressed into the hull. In the demo video one plug pulled out of the hull allowing the seat to lift and move around.

I saw this video and it appears there were two problems. The first -- the seat back was initially incorrectly connected to the seat pan instead of the boat, so the back was unsupported -- when he rocked back the seat back tried to pull the seat bottom up. The second -- when they finally hooked the seat back into the hull padeyes, one of the padeyes popped out. The dealer said this was a pre-production boat from a boat show. Matt Miller posted that the padeye was not properly installed and that the problem has been rectified. Bad coincidence that this boat got reviewed. Bad time to discover a problem.

IMO, this seat has no problem in design or quality. My seat worked great and I have no criticism of it. Hobie has been connecting seatbacks to hulls this way since 1997, and it's never been an issue.

As with all boats, you should demo a boat before you buy it. I am confident you will not find a problem with the seat. That's my opinion. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Go back to that video, look at the comments and note Matt Millers contribution. It answers your questions right there

Thanks for the note! He actually posted a follow up video to the first one and talked about the seat and other features in more detail. Given Hobie's reputation I'm sure that if there is a real problem with that plug pulling out Hobie will have a fix out quickly. However, really wish Hobie at least made the hull and brackets so there was an option to upgrade the seat later.