Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My spouse and I had a very scary encounter with the Sacramento River the other day. We are new owners of rev11s and love them. Our original Hobies were from 2001--very wide and stable, no scupper holes for wheels.

We stored our Hobie Trax 2 wheels in the holes upon launch, leaving the clamps in position that our dealer had placed them. The river was a bit lower than I was used to, and my spouse crashed into a hidden stump and capsized. Very dangerous strong current, so I pulled to the bank--but my spouse couldn't make it over, so I pushed off too quickly--and an overhanging bush toppled me into the water as well. With my boat upside down, I could hang on and called my spouse to swim over. Both of us hanging on and moving swiftly downstream with rapids and very rough water ahead, we were lucky enough to get the attention of two fishing boats. They rescued both us and our Hobies, but it was a close call, as they reported seeing no other boats for miles on the river.

KEY POINT: While holding on, I realized that I was clasping the protruding trax 2 posts! They were stickup up about 4 inches!

Safe at home now, I looked at the second trax wheels, and they are a full inch longer than mine! My spouse might have hit that stump or submerged tree with the protruding posts! Likely scenario, in fact. I have moved the clamps now, much higher on the posts to avoid this problem in the future.

What a frightening experience. I hope this post helps others who might not realize that the clamps have to be quite high on the post to avoid protruding when stowed in the scupper holes behind the seat on a Rev11. I wish I had been aware of the issue beforehand!!!

Take care!

Joan (I an 80 years old 120 lbs and still quite strong--but not strong enough to fight the Sacramento River. I doubt that I'll go on it again, even in my now-smooth-bottomed Hobie.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:27 am 
Site Admin

That is scary!... Likely better to tie them into the cargo area if in water conditions where you are in shallow or obstructed areas. For carting the kayak... be sure that the posts do protrude through and into the cargo area far enough to use the keeper pin. This is to be sure the cart posts contact the hull at the bottom and in the cargo deck for strength. If just into the tube, you can cause leverage loads against the tube walls.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is one reason I never store carts in the scupper holes. The depths of these holes vary from model to model. Hence the adjustability of the collars, Not withstanding this the posts need to be longer than the holes to prevent damage in the operating position, hence they will always protrude to a degree. Even if it doesn't tip you the jolt caused by hitting something puts strain on the scupper holes. Not the most hydro dynamic set up either.

Keep in rear tank well as suggested. Unhook the tankwell bungie, wrap around the axle and reattach so they dont fall out

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice--will carry in the rear from now on! Bad design!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to admit it, but after 30 years of kayaking, I now have PTSD issues each time I set out. As I am a photographer, I don't need the heady adventure of a fast-moving river. If I ever go again, it will not be to capture the wonderful wildlife!

Joan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad you made it out alive, that is super scary.... as I go out usually on my own I promise my wife to stay away from fast moving rivers, especially if they have heavy boating traffic where folks drink alcohol on river such as our Delta in Sacramento & Bay area. Didn't really buy a Hobie for whitewater kayaking, especially as the Mirage drive becomes useless in lower water.