Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello - I'm new to kayaking, and just got a new (to me) 2008 Outfitter with V1 drives and Turbo ST fins. I'm running it mostly single, just learning my way around and enjoying it. I'm not a fisherman - just like to cruise and get the benefits of non-impact aerobic exercise.

While I'm out there pedaling, my arms aren't getting any work. I can use the paddle to supplement, but that just feels awkward and doesn't seem to add additional speed - just additional work. Has anyone rigged the front Mirage drive with cables or ropes connected to the pedals on one end with handles on the other end so you could use your arms to pull the front drive pedals?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why not insert the drive well plug up front, add 200 lbs of water in the front seat area and then continue your pedaling?
Or maybe toss in and and drag a sea anchor behind your Outfitter?
The additional weight and or drag will increase your work out, so you will feel better and forget about doing something with your arms. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great upper body workout.

Last edited by oldyaker on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

3lowdown wrote:
While I'm out there pedaling, my arms aren't getting any work. I can use the paddle to supplement, but that just feels awkward and doesn't seem to add additional speed - just additional work. Has anyone rigged the front Mirage drive with cables or ropes connected to the pedals on one end with handles on the other end so you could use your arms to pull the front drive pedals?
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Outfitter.

You can try operating your Mirage Drive by hand by attaching some parachute cord and "D" handles, but it looks better on paper than in actual use:

The arms fatigue rapidly and it doesn't add much thrust.

Using the paddle can be awkward with your knees bumping your hands, hands scraping against the gunwales, etc. But with a little practice, it will be your best solution.

Starting out practicing a modified high, wide stroke, just dipping your paddle, you will eventually adopt a style that gives you a great core workout with excellent cardio benefits. It took me about 3 months to get comfortable with the paddle but perhaps I'm slow in these matters. :mrgreen:

BTW, your Outfitter runs best when level, so ballast accordingly. Dr.SteelheadCatcher's water bag suggestion is fast and easy. Packing tape on the bottom of the hull will streamline your forward drivewell (leave a small slot for drainage).

8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

.....I guess photobucket is holding pics hostage. https://www.csoonline.com/article/32057 ... emand.html

Last edited by oldyaker on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

oldyaker....your photobucket link does notwork for me.
I get a message to "update your account to enable 3rd party hosting".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yep, this is exactly what I was thinking, but on the outfitter I'd be pulling the front pedals by hand and pedaling the rear drive with the legs.

Re: You can try operating your Mirage Drive by hand by attaching some parachute cord and "D" handles, but it looks better on paper than in actual use

Yep, I'm beginning to get the hang of this - and it is a great workout. I'm finding a much slower cadence with the paddle in comparison to the pedals works best so far.

Re: Using the paddle can be awkward with your knees bumping your hands, hands scraping against the gunwales, etc. But with a little practice, it will be your best solution.

Thanks for the suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pedal halfway paddle the other half. I have also leaned forward and run my pedals with my hands, it works pretty good.