Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, and thanks for reading my first post. I've been wanting to get into kayak fishing forever, and I've wanted a Hobie Outback for a long while. I've fished flats from a canoe for a few years now. After saving some cash and doing a lot of online research, I have purchased my first yak.

I bought a used 2017 Hobie Outback from my local dealer. They informed me that it was a Hobie Team member's boat, that he had warrantied his first hull, and then fished the one I just bought for about 3 months. They said the Hobie Team guys get a new one every year, and that is why they were selling this one.

This OB came with turbo fins and the 2017 version of the 180 Mirage Drive. I got them to add the upgraded large rudder and the rectangular hatch. They put all new material on the seat, and it looks brand new. There are some superficial scuffs on the side and bottom of the hull. Nothing deep, and looks to be only cosmetic. They told me that I still get a 2 year warranty on the hull from Hobie.

I paid $2,000 plus tax. I feel this was a fair deal because I was able to save nearly $1,000 over a new one with the upgrades I listed above. The scuffs don't bother me, and look like just about every used yak I've seen. I'm happy with the deal, and I know that's what really matters, but I have no experience with buying kayaks, much less a used one. I was hoping maybe some of you with more knowledge and experience could let me know your thoughts on the deal? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"I paid $2,000 plus tax. I feel this was a fair deal because I was able to save nearly $1,000 over a new one with the upgrades I listed above."

I believe you answered your own question :wink: !
Have fun fishing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you feel you over paid for it, I'll buy it off ya for $1500...

...Shipped to Upstate NY on your dime.

[emoji16][emoji16]

You got a good deal and enjoy the new ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the responses! I felt it was a good deal, but I wanted to get some feedback from those with experience. Now I know it was a good deal. I appreciate your help, and I can't wait to be fishing from it!